Like Tree15Likes

which cars to buy, please help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My previous 3.5L Toyota Prado I was doing 5.71KM/LT
    3.2L ML320 I was doing 6.12KM/LT
    3L Toyota Alphard 6.6KM/LT (My is very sporty/mean looking and looks way better than a XC90 or Mazda 8 )

My friends have said I only have two speeds in brain when I drive, STOP / GOOOOOOOOO I burn fuel fast

Each driver is different, you could probably do more than 10KM/LT on each of the cars that I had previously if you are a nice/safe driver.

The only major problem with the GDI Pajero that everyone talks about is one of the pumps, cant exactly remember which one it is but once it dies costs like 6K new, cheaper for 2nd hand. That is the only problem I have heard of the Pajero. Also as petrol prices are going higher and higher, most locals dont want the big heavy SUV vehicles and that is why the price looks cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    flameproof, which ones would you recommend fron kia & hyundai (7 seaters, SUV/mpv).
    Please do your investigation. I am no outside my radar expert.

http://www.kia.com.hk

Sorento seems very common.

http://www.hyundai.com.hk

No idea about petrol consumption. But I doubt you will manage below 10L/100Km. More like 12-15 - at currently $17.30/L

I once owned a Hyundai. It was really reliable. Did well over 100,000Km with it and had no issues. In EU they give 7 years warranty.
    Last edited by flameproof; 09-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.

double post

Last edited by flameproof; 09-10-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    3.2L ML320 I was doing 6.12KM/LT
    That's just mad... wtbhotia ! But generally agree that the American produced ML 320 W163 is a dog/pig.

My German built E320 Touring ( RWD ) seater wagon is 1000LB's lighter than both the lardy ML320 and the OVLOV XC90. Weight tends to affect quite a few things, makes the vehicle wallow around/lurch ( high centre of gravity ) etc under hard braking, or high frequency direction changes SUV's really are clumsy shitful things to drive, tyres cost is also considerably more and you change them more often... Oh and yes. you will burn more fuel as you gotta expend more energy to move that weight, not to mention drive train loss via an all wheel drive system....

I have supplied a photo below of how economical mine is, a 2002 W210 E320 7 seater wagon ( 5 adults 2 children upto 12 years old ), which is achieving close to factory fuel economy specs ( 8 - 11.5 litres per 100KM ) I am getting regularly between 9.1 and 12.2 litres per 100km ( keep a log book ) or $2.17km using my worst recorded fuel figure, $1.67km on a good day .

Name:  20120503_105541-cpy.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  226.7 KB

Keep away from SUV's you will cop it in the bum on tyre costs, brake pads, very high fuel consumption and if you hit somebody else you are very likely to kill the occupants of the other car due to the mass and vehicle height etc. I'd like passenger vehicles that weigh more than 1800kgs banned from public roads especially in crowded cities that have ZERO need for AWD/4WD vehicles.

In 12 months of owing our wagon I am still on the same set of tyres, and spent $4800 on 2 services and a new windscreen.... Why waste money and suffer driving a much more tiring vehicle that requires a lot more concentration to pilot HK's narrow roads/streets/carparks.?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.

I would look at a newer mazda 5 with less miles and less trips to the mechanic. Xc90 and other heavy suvs will cost you an arm and a lrg to maintain. A set of 4 tires will be about $7000~8000 for a heavy 4wd suvs.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Driving can be dangerous in HK......

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    In 12 months of owing our wagon I am still on the same set of tyres,
    I've gone through the front set of tyres already in 9 months

Be careful of cars with a P sign

Watercooler likes this.

ok gusy

i think i have shortlisted mazda5, mazda8, odyssey, picnic, wish (and not those stylish looking impressive cars liek xc90, pajero )

please now help me decide among these

mazda8 i like, but i checked and seems like the cheapest ones are quoted aroudn 120k hk$. is it a newer model car? (no 2004-2005) available?
    and i know it might sound silly but whats teh main difference between mazda5 and madza8? is mazda8 much bigger than mazda5? which one would you recommend

and how do the mazdas compare with picnic, wish, odyssey

thanks again!

one thing that makes me nervous is the boot space or the distance between the end and the rear seats, i worry about the kids in the back seats for these cars. which one do you think would be safest for rear steats amongst mazda5, mazda8, odyssey, picnic, wish

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast