Like Tree15Likes

which cars to buy, please help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

which cars to buy, please help

Hi All,

I have finally made up my mind and haeve got cash in hand for buying a car, I have been thinking for this over last 10 months.

My budgets hkd:80k or less (can strtch to 100k)
    Seater: 7 (have 3 kids and a helper too)
    Model: 2004 or newer (2003 in worst case)
    Mileage: around 75k

The cars I have shortlisted:

Honda Stream, Odyssey
    Toyota Wish, Picnic
    Volve XC90 (like this one just by looks of it, have to explore more)
    Mazda 8

Now stream loosk sporty but rear seats are too small and also I worry about teh safet of the kids in the rear seat as the boot is too small. Do you think odyssey, wish or picnic will be better with bigger boot space & safety ? Although odyssey, wish, picnic dont look as nice.

I like mazda8 and xc90 but i think the prices i have seen are more in the range of 100-110k for 2004-2005 models. Do you think I can get these at <100k?
    Which of these 2 would you recommend. I know CX90 might be better safety but does it consume much more fuel than Mazda8? We libe in tung chung so most of the places will be 20km+ distance one way. which of the above cars do you think will have a better resale value in another 2-3 years

Thanks a lot!
    Please help me make my mind and give your

I had an Odyssey 2.2, 99/00 model when I got to HK and I wish I still had it....ugly but lovely and wide and felt safe. Local mechanics recommend Hondas, they're one of the few Hondas not likely to have been driven hard, except the newer ones that look like estates!!

$80k? Nah, get a nice 92/93 with 80-100kms for $25k-$30k....treat it well and you'll lose very little money on resale...

XC90 is permanent 4WD, it will consume much more fuel than Mazda 8 which is FWD.

What about Toyota Previa 2003 for 68K http://28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=...via&h_srh_ty=1

or Toyota Estima 2003 for 78K http://28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=...ima&h_srh_ty=1

imparanoic likes this.

thanks a lot wbhotia
    they both look like wans and have weird shape honestly. I know i should not be talking like this given my budget :|
    but xc90 and mazda8 look better. even wish, picnic, odysses. btw i wanted (again if possible) a more sporty look with good size if possible (similar to suv)
    so xc90 is out it seems, how different is the fuel consumption compared to mazda8 and others?

Many Thanks

thabsk bryant, i will look into getting older ones too but i am really bad at car mechanics and hate any trips to workshops too. but your suggestion does sound great
    guys, i know we have discussed this before but ML320 2002 model goes for 50k only. it looks a great buy. are there soem real issues with it that you guys have noticed.

coming back to point, cx90, mazda 8, odyssey, stream, picnic, wish?

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    i know we have discussed this before but ML320 2002 model goes for 50k only. it looks a great buy. are there soem real issues with it that you guys have noticed.

coming back to point, cx90, mazda 8, odyssey, stream, picnic, wish?
    Stay away from ML320, I had one, paid 130K for it, 2 years later traded it in and got 35K, the central locking computer died, replacement cost 8K (didnt bother), accelerator pedal was a bit wobbly, replacement 4K (didnt bother), Power steering leaking 5K, ABS sensors died 2K and on and on, things kept dying, also its permanent 4wd so fuel was expensive, I was doing $2.5 per KM on a good day.

Merc electrical systems seems to last just close to 10 years and start dying.

Check this out 2003 Pajero for 63K, fits 7, has all the bells and whistles, plus u can change to 2wd or 4wd

http://28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=...1&h_srh=pajero

Toyota Alphard, FWD, 2002 78K, fits 8 ppl, electric door, sun roof, 4 sonar sensors, rear parking camera.

http://28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=...ard&h_srh_ty=1

My advice would be to look at the Koreans. KIA and Hyundai are very competitive priced.

My last rental in EU was a KIA Twengo or so, an amazing car (4-5 seater). It had cruise control, navi, rear drive monitor, auto light and wipers.

ML320.... Those huge 10+ year old cars sell very cheap in HK. I wouldn't touch them though.

BTW, I think 2nd hands from dealers are way too expensive. There are some very active websites for cars in HK. Forgot which one..... There are chinese car magazines with classifieds too.

PS: yep I think http://28car.com is the best site. Only Chinese though.

Last edited by flameproof; 09-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.

thanks!!!
    pajero looks good and within my price range too.
    however its still 3000cc, how many km/liter shall it do roughly? and how about a 2000cc-is mpv, how many kms does it do in 1 litre?

i hate alphard, sorry..it looks like a van! too huge and ugly

flameproof, which ones would you recommend fron kia & hyundai (7 seaters, SUV/mpv).

btw pajero, looks cheap for what it is, too. are there any hidden problems there in pajero (like ml320)?

Watercooler likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast