Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By Skyhook

Toyota Prius owners, recalls and replacement AUX battery

Closed Thread

Toyota Prius owners, recalls and replacement AUX battery

Just letting you guys know, that if you own a HK authorised ( Crown Motors ) 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius, there are currently 2 factory recalls that affect certain chassis numbered cars for:

1/. The replacement of the synergy drive cooling recirc pump, which includes flushing the entire cooling system and replacing the coolant with Toyota Super Long life ( red colour ) coolant, free of charge.

2/ The main steering shaft has been found to fail via fatigue under certain ( extreme ) driving conditions and will be replaced free of charge.

Both jobs can be done together and will take around 4 hours to complete.

I know this because last week my Auxiliary Battery ( the small 12 ~ 14V car battery ) that runs all of the Prius's start up computer, the car radio, head lights, steering, HVAC windescreen wipers. power windows, alarm and keyless/proximity entry etc had run flat. Lucky I hard a cordless 12V drill in the boot, which I used the battery off that to soft start the START up computer to gain access the the massive traction battery that starts the ICE with the electric motor. A cool feature of the Prius I must say, that even with a flat battery you can get going again with a 12V ~ 14Vcordless drill battery lol.

Then it was off to Toyota in Tsuen Wan to get a price for a replacement 12-14V battery, which is when I discovered that there were 2 recalls that affect my car, now booked in to be repaired when parts from Japan arrive.

I am not going to use the Toyota battery, I am going to use a better alternative, being the American, Optima Yellow Top D51 battery, for the Prius. It's lighter than the factory battery, has more juice / storage capacity and has a 3 year warranty, with an approximate usable lifespan of 10 years, thanks to being in a very stable / cool environment in the boot/trunk. The Toyota battery lasted 8 years so even that was pretty amazing, all things considered. Oh and the Optima is $300 cheaper than what Toyota are charging @ $2500 fitted.

Name:  Optima Prius Battery.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  49.1 KB Name:  optima battery 2.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  78.8 KB Name:  Optima battery 3.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  79.2 KB

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    bsh, wtbhotia, DirkStruan and 1 others like this.

This is very helpful! Thanks! My battery has been dying and needed to jump 3 times already in last two months. I've only been in HK for 6 months from SF. Mind telling me where did you buy the battery?

Recall

Hello, i have prius 2009 in hk. What are the factors to avail this free recall?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN55:
    Hello, i have prius 2009 in hk. What are the factors to avail this free recall?

Thanks
    Drive your car to your nearest Crown Motors ( Toyota ) service centre and ask the service adviser if there are any recalls that affect your VIN/BUILD number. If there are, they will carry out the amended service schedule rectification as a good will measure.
    chuckster007 likes this.