Car price in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Car price in Hong Kong

Hi All

I have done a search on car prices in HK and it seems that they are not that expensive compared to where I come from. I know that car parking space is expensive in HK but is it true that car price itself is not that expensive compared to many ASEAN countries?

Thank you.

If you're going to be owning and driving here in HK what does it matter how it compares to Malaysia, Uganda or Venezuela?
    The biggest hit here is reggo.

Second hand cars tend to be quite cheap, but new cars are relatively expensive because of a very high "first use" tax.

I actually find running a car cheaper here than back in Australia, although registration costs almost double what it did back home, but servicing and new spare parts are costing me less than 50% here.

Parking is no concern for us, as we get company provided parking at work, and we own our residential space, so no extra cost incurred, even when we go shopping, most super markets- shopping complexes have a free parking / spend deal.

It's all going to boil down to what type of car you buy, ie mainstream Toyota Honda etc, or a Prestige brand ie BMW MB Porsche etc.

Like a few expats when they first arrive here and see how cheap 993 Porsche Carrera S's are and late 90's AMG Mercedes Benz's, we went through that phase of enjoying these high performance cars, because back home they are considerably more expensive. After awhile though, the novelty wears off, and the maintenance cost begins to sink in.

Since we changed over to our trusty 2001 Toyota 8 seater MPV, wanting more passenger space, visibility, fuel economy, practicality and much lower maintenance costs. We have never had a days trouble, costs $600 to service at the local garage or 1/5th of what our previous cars were costing per service, and on consumables ( filters etc ).

Probably the most practical/reliable vehicle I can ever recall owning, never lets you down, and only costs loose change to maintain. I've also heard from expat friends that Subaru Forester wagons are bullet proof also, with only nice things being said about them.

Car ownership is only as expensive as you want it to be here, it's costing us 50% less than our Audi back home to keep on the road, to insure and register etc.

Your choice of accommodation is going to be the key to inexpensive car costs, village houses that are not classed as villa's etc, have free parking provided. The moment you have gate security, you are going to have to pay for parking ( $2000 - $4500 per month), unless you own the property and the car space title.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by Skyhook; 05-02-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Appreciate all for valuable advise.

Just an observation. HKD212k (incl 1st Reg tax) for Toyota Camry 2.4 is really quite cheap.