Like Tree7Likes

can my U.S license be converted to a HK or international license.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We'll let him off then but, realistically, a little research before/after arriving would have helped a lot. So it's not your guilt to carry.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    He spend ages looking for parking spaces, getting lost in one-way systems, going the wrong way through one of the tunnels and then having to pay to come back ....
    I hope it's not a position where he needs good eyesight...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Of course if he wants to have a good look around the territory, maximizing the time he has here, a car is the way to go.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile
    Hong Kong is best experienced from foot, bus, train and the occasional taxi.......not from behind the steering wheel of a car.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We've taken people around Hong Kong in a car, but we only hire those that come with a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Hong Kong is best experienced from foot, bus, train and the occasional taxi.......not from behind the steering wheel of a car.
    Still a bit hung over from Christmas? You seem to forget that we car owners park, get out and walk around......

Quote Originally Posted by semidevil:
    I will be in hong kong next week. I dont plan to have a car yet, but just in case I do, will my U.S license allow me to legally drive in Hong Kong if I ever want to? Do I need to convert it to an international license?

What is the process?
    In summary:
    To drive in HK, you either need to be a tourist (and use your home country license) or a HK resident (and use your HK license). You may be able to get away with doing it differently, but it is a risk.

An International Driving Permit is not a license. It is a translation of your home country license, and it is only valid for one year. You could get one now if you wanted one. AAA in the 'States issues them. But why bother? They're usually not required. Some people say they just make writing you a ticket easier...
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    They're usually not required.
    Of my last 3 car hires (all in the last 6 months) ALL of them have required an international driving license. MrMin was not able to drive the car on the last trip because he forgot his (Korea); I forgot mine in Australia but had my (almost expired an with the wrong address on it) NZ licence with me that they accepted. The rules appear to be random - never been asked in Australia before and had hired a car with the HK license!

An international driving permit is cheap, easy to get and a good backstop if you come across some of these places which are really iffy about licences! But as noted, it's NOT a replacement for a HK license if you live here,

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    But he's not one of those. He's a nice guy actually, been living in Asia for years but in one of those lesser developed countries where cars are still essential. It was just a reminder that not ever foreigner realises what great public transport is like and just "defaults" to the car without realising. It's that awareness that is lacking, especially in those (ahem) nationalities for whom the car is an extension of some body part....
    I agree that for most urban parts of HK, the OP can get by with public transport (which is far superior to that of the US-byproduct of the denser living environment of HK). However, there are a few spots in HK where it is actually more convenient to to get to with a car. In certain areas of the county parks for instance. So let's not turn advantages of public transportation into yet another anti-car rant. Some people just enjoy cars because they enjoy the act of driving, not simply to get from A to B, maybe Op is one of them, whether in HK or US.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by semidevil:
    I will be in hong kong next week. I dont plan to have a car yet, but just in case I do, will my U.S license allow me to legally drive in Hong Kong if I ever want to? Do I need to convert it to an international license?

What is the process?
    ***Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months).