Like Tree87Likes

Is it me... or Hong Kongers really BAD DRIVERS?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

Yes, I totally argree, i think the driving standard is lower here. I must see a collision every week while am on the roads.

Actually I don't think the driving standard here is too bad considering the high population density. Searching around and I managed to find this:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/..._4636/f_a1.pdf

Its a few years old but still interesting to see that HK's traffic fatality rate / population compares quite favourably with other more 'civilised' countries.

Although you could also argue that due to mostly low speeds, fatal accidents represent a very small percentage of overall traffic accidents. http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...4636/cfb6e.pdf

Would be interested to see some figures for overall traffic accident rates vs other cities.

Last edited by jmbf; 10-08-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Skyhook and imparanoic like this.

Those complaining about HK driving, would freak the fuck out if they were driving in Sydney, road rage and the really aggressive, cutting off of other drivers habit ( by SUV's ) that exists there. Thanks to the OTT nanny state authoritarianism via the police and their fixation on policing speed limits to such a petty degree, which has created tightly wound drivers.

HK is like playschool by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Actually I don't think the driving standard here is too bad considering the high population density. Searching around and I managed to find this:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/..._4636/f_a1.pdf

Its a few years old but still interesting to see that HK's traffic fatality rate / population compares quite favourably with other more 'civilised' countries.

Although you could also argue that due to mostly low speeds, fatal accidents represent a very small percentage of overall traffic accidents. http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...4636/cfb6e.pdf

Would be interested to see some figures for overall traffic accident rates vs other cities.
    '
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

uk and germany much lower than HK, HK marginally lower than china

Comparing city to city would seem a more appropriate measure. Hong Kong has 2000kms of road with the vast majority being urban, urban expressway or residential roads. Doing this Hong Kong fairs very well but comparing the city with other countries that have many miles of much safer rural and full blown freeways it obviously does not.

Perhaps the most appropriate measure given that most of Hong KONG's population is too poor to own a car would be to compare accidents per passenger km.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Those complaining about HK driving, would freak the fuck out if they were driving in Sydney, road rage and the really aggressive, cutting off of other drivers habit ( by SUV's ) that exists there. Thanks to the OTT nanny state authoritarianism via the police and their fixation on policing speed limits to such a petty degree, which has created tightly wound drivers.

HK is like playschool by comparison.
    I just arrived back from Sydney and personally I thought the driving there had tamed a bit. Maybe because there are even more cops on e roads trying to squeeze every bit of revenue out of NSW drivers. It's just that the roads are bad. Worse since I last drove there. They make HK roads look like sheer luxury highways. That saying, one of my close mates drove me to the airport yesterday morning, and she was cursing, beeping the horn, lane dodging all the way....

The one really annoying thing I find about driving in HK is that other drivers do not look or even indicate before pulling into the lane infront of you. I've has near misses because of, only saved by beeping the horn. Also, drivers who can't decide which lane to actually drive in. Yep, seen more than a few who don't know which lane to drive in, and so drive along the middle of the road.

Sydney and NSW drivers aside, I actually found the drivers in Darwin and Northern Territory to be the most considerate. Yes, all indicated before turning or changing into the lane infront of my car.

The only reason HK has comparable fewer accidents is the lower speed. I think I usually average in the high 30s driving all day around the Island.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Gravitas:
    Driving an Alphard is all the reason you need
    Added LED lights to my Alphard, going to pimp it in da village

Waiting on delivery of my under car LEDs 7 Color LED Under Car Glow Underbody System Neon Lights Kit - US$25.99

And my light sound sensor Plasma magic ballCar Voice Touch plasma Ball Magic Ball LED Light Sound SensorB - US$9.19

Then I will really be pimping it in da villages

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    The only reason HK has comparable fewer accidents is the lower speed. I think I usually average in the high 30s driving all day around the Island.
    East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12