Like Tree3Likes

Getting a license in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do I have to get my learner's first? Or is there a way that allows me to just take the driving test (since you know, I don't exactly need to learn how to drive)?
    Better to get a learners and hire an instructor to take you around the course ( Happy Valley? ) a couple of times. If you've not driven in Hong Kong it is to your advantage to just drive around a couple of times... and NO, you should not be doing that in your friend's car without a proper license.

(Reminds me of a time when I drove my self in my friend's car to the driving test location in the US. It just occurred to me it was completely illegal when the instructor asked me how I got the test location. "Ummm... he went for a coffee... but now that I have my license I'll drive to the mall and pick him up")
    Skyhook and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    "Ummm... he went for a coffee... but now that I have my license I'll drive to the mall and pick him up")

Ha ha good answer...

@ Skyhook, I did it from scratch again in UK.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    @ Skyhook, I did it from scratch again in UK.

That's a bit of a bummer....

There is (was?) no US-UK license reciprocity (they can't even agree on the spelling!), so I had to go from scratch, too, to get my car and bike licenses in the UK...

Of course, with so many years of driving experience all over Europe (not to mention the, er, "extra" years I had actually driven in the UK by that time), was I going to take bloody driving lessons? No way!

Result: passed the car practical test on the third (or was it the fourth?!?!) try... Just little things caused the failure each time, silly things, sometimes "unfair" things, but they added up. (Passed the bike test on the first go, oddly...)

So, yes, take the lessons!

>> passed the car practical test on the third (or was it the fourth?!?!)

So, it took about 6-8 months? I recall that it took 6 or 8 weeks to get my second appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You can't transfer a licence in Australia. I had to resit the practical test (yep, out driving in a car with duel controls!) when I tried to get my license from a UK license. Apparently, for some countries (including the UK) all you have to do is the practical test; for others (Malaysia was one, where I had previously been living and driving) you have to sit the whole thing - exam and practical!
    In NSW I managed to get a NSW driving license using my old UK license which had expired recently. No exam, no test. This does vary from state to state though

Agree. Renewing your aussie license then converting may be easier

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    After a few years the Aussies cancel your licence, my SA one became invalid...

Precisely what happened to me yes you have the joy of becoming a learner all over again

Sent from my ST27i using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> passed the car practical test on the third (or was it the fourth?!?!)

So, it took about 6-8 months? I recall that it took 6 or 8 weeks to get my second appointment.
    Yep. Oh, how I laughed...