Like Tree64Likes

Cars in DB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cars in DB

Saw on Internet that cars will be allowed in Discovery Bay within next five years and the tunnel will become free to all traffic. Is there enough parking now or will new car parks be built?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Source. .......

If it's true, those DB suckers who pay $1 million dollar or more for their oh-so-precious golf carts is so going to get burned, hahaha.

Of course, this rumour could be nothing more than a malicious joke by the OP on DB golf cart owners...

Last edited by Watercooler; 20-02-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Source. .......
    Comments like these are floating around on the DB forum:

Each home will have its own car parking. With the opening of the hotel, the tunnel will become open, and it suggested DB will be open to private cars within five years.

When we were viewing a Chianti apartment we were told by the agent that there is already a car park 'ready to go' just to the left of the new tunnel entrance. You can see that there is something blocked off there, take a look.

and and also triggered by this new development for the super-rich who would most likely not put down that kind of money and then be expected to hop on a bus or a golf cart at the best:

http://www.scmp.com/business/article...ign=scmp_today

Just replace golf carts with hovercrafts and you'll have a more useful symbol of elitism.

Quote Originally Posted by Akael:
    Just replace golf carts with hovercrafts and you'll have a more useful symbol of elitism.
    aaaah memories of the early DB days....the hovercraft transport!

Did not realize this was a hot topic (he he) but with so many wonderful replies, I will think more seriouly when posting. An: I was told by a close friend (not named0 who does work for HKRI, that they are considering allowing private vehicles within 5 years (maybe sooner) to boost the hotel and high-priced home on the golf course. How it will be accomplished, I don't know, but among HKRI staff, it seems common knowledge. Thanks for all replies!

I might be common knowledge among HKRI staff, but the government has something to say about too, as does the district councillor. DB is zoned as car free, HKRI has still not gotten their limited taxi access application approved.
    Apart from that the tunnel is a money making business for HKRI, thus I doubt that a developer as greedy as they are will make it 'free for all' - no matter what you saw on the internet.
    The buses to Tung Chung and Sunny Bays are cash cows as well - just wanted to throw that bit in for consideration...

Fiona in HKG and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasroad:
    Did not realize this was a hot topic (he he) but with so many wonderful replies, I will think more seriouly when posting. An: I was told by a close friend (not named0 who does work for HKRI, that they are considering allowing private vehicles within 5 years (maybe sooner) to boost the hotel and high-priced home on the golf course. How it will be accomplished, I don't know, but among HKRI staff, it seems common knowledge. Thanks for all replies!
    They already allow private cars as they are often spotted and speculation is that they belong to HKRI executives living in DB (or friends of). They could accomplish car entry only where there is space for parking, i.e. up at the new development where the area is currently being bulldozed and no doubt the hotel as it's just beyond the tunnel anyway, and perhaps Bijou Hamlets would have some space too.

The huge issue would allowing cars where there are no parking facilities (and only a limited number of little squares for golf carts). If indeed the 'structure' at the end of the tunnel is destined to be a carpark, that would no doubt work as there's a bus stop right next to it.

Things are changing, no doubt but due to the infrastructure I don't see it as a general opening up, just special permits for the big houses and block parking at the end of the tunnel.

We shall see!
    elle likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast