Like Tree84Likes

FAQ: Riding a Motorcycle in Hong Kong *READ THIS FIRST*

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

I have been commuting on a bike in HK since 2008 and my gear only changed once since then. At first I bought a BMW Venting Machine jacket and a Force Field integrated chest/back protector (looks like a bullet proof vest); pants wise I went with just heavy weight denim jeans somtimes with full race boots or hiking/work boots. The zipper finally broke after 5 years of washes and now I am wearing a full Rev'it Tornado suit all the time and just change in the office or bear with the "looks" when I'm walking around. I choose the Tornado because it has a waterproof and thermal linining that I can put back in the winter. In the winter time textile jackets can be freezing cold for the 2 weeks or so winter we get here.

I figure with the low speed crashes in HK you may not need all the abrasion resistance protection offered by leather. Impact protection is more important IMO, hence the chest/back protector. You're more likely to bust a rib or have internal injuries in the types of crashes in HK without extra impact armor; most suits even leather does not provide chest protection.

It is UNbearable to wear leather in HK unless you have a large pannier set to carry the 50 bottles of ice cold gatorade to cool down every 30 mins. They are nice during the fall and winter; if you have the $$$ to splurge buy both the leather and textile.

Of all the things I felt kept me safe over the 5 years of riding in HK (24,000kms on a VFR, 10,000kms on a Vstrom and 13,000kms so far on a ZZR1400), I think it was the bike. Drivers tend to look down on smaller bikes and scooters. Other than the ZZR I have had HUGE panniers with 3M reflective tapes and a Stebel Nautilus air horn. The Vstrom was the best where I installed 80watt LED flood lights as day time running lights (they will literally blind people at night). And with after market pipes, they cannot say they did not hear you. So while people say a beginner should start with a small bike, I think there is a certain safety factor from being noticed and respected by cars in HK with a bigger/louder/meaner looking bike. When my current helmet goes out of commission in a few years I want a custom painted one with a mean looking skull to scare the drivers LOL

Along those lines, wearing proper gear and shiny metal plated gloves will also get drivers' attention/respect IMO.

That or get yourself a BMW R1200RT, a white helmet and a flourresent yellow mesh jacket; that ought to get you attention on the road LOL

Lastly going back to the topic of leathers in summer, remember that rider fatigue is a problem if you are over heating. In the last few weeks even in my textile suit I felt like a heat stroke was coming on after making the mistake of not drinking 2 pitchers of water before heading out on a ride. So if you're in black race leather stuck in traffic you will definitely get heat stroke in this weather which is more dangerous than if you "go local"

Last edited by Titus; 10-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Wow thanks for such insightful suggestions and tips. Will definately be picking up a mesh suit and proper gear. I have finally decided and like a zzr250, saw it today everything is in great shape. Only 2 owners and 15k km. Only downside is the fairing is a little cracked on one side and has some minor scratches on the exhaust and below the footpegs on the left side.

Should I steer clear or is this a good true first bike? I dont want to pay too much for the overpriced Ninja 250s here. The frame has no cracks though.

It should be a good bike IF it was maintained. See if they'll tear the carbs down and check/clean em. If everything else looks ok, this'll probably be your main concern.

Being it a local owner getting any sort of service history is not possible. Had a friend that has ridden for many years try it out and everything is in great shape. Damn is she rev happy.

Got myself a nice bday gift. 2002 Kawasaki ZZR250, 2 owners and 15k km done. She handles so well.

Great FAQ and tons of good information. Big thanks to all contributors.

I'm hoping you can help me with finding a shop or car wash that does motorcycles... I don't mind a DIY type of place but I can't seem to find one on HK Island.

I just bought myself a bike and it looks really dirty, I need to use a lot of elbow grease and polish to make it look shiny again. I live in a very central place and there is no way I can do it without some proper equipment and in an adequate space, high pressure, de-greaser and soap should do it.

I passed a place in Aberdeen once but I cannot find it anymore...the ones in Wan Chai by Jaffe Road are not helpful at all... any ideas of where i can find a DYI car wash would be most appreciated! Thanks

There is a car wash under the flyover by Times Square heading to Happy Valley/Aberdeen.

No idea if they cater for motorcycles but it looks fairly big.

Thanks Trebor, had a look. They do a hand wash for a 150HKD. Not bad, and it looks clean as well.

If they scrub the brake dust off your wheels and dry the bike, that's a solid price!!

scrambler likes this.

http://store.coolvest.com/sports-cooling-vests/

Tempted to try, been commuting in full gear (Rev'it Tornado mesh 2pc) and think this might make things lots more comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    http://store.coolvest.com/sports-cooling-vests/

Tempted to try, been commuting in full gear (Rev'it Tornado mesh 2pc) and think this might make things lots more comfy
    can u buy one in my size please? i thought i was gonna have a heart attack dirtbikin on tues,.

would love to try one but its not exactly impulse price for me...

anyone actually used one?

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast