Like Tree2Likes

Driving License HK/UK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Driving License HK/UK

Hi,

I recently went back to the UK and took my theory(written) test and passed however i failed the practical test.

I would like to be able to drive in the UK and HK and so i was wondering if i pass a HK Manual practical test would i be able to convert it to a UK driving license? and have for example a HK driving license and a UK/international driving license?

Also since i have taken and passed the theory(written) test in the UK, would i need to pass it again in HK? and finally UK requires a person to hold a provisional license before they pass the Practical is HK the same?

Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated.

John

hk driving test is much easier than uk, average person will pass in around 5 months, unlike UK which is at around 10-12 months ( just apply for the practical test in uk takes 3 months)

i had a uk license for the last 10 odd years, in fact, my uk driving licence has expired now ( but i have a hk licience now)

i am not sure about HK licience can be converted to uk full licience, but i am aware hk liceince can be converted to international license which last for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    but i am aware hk liceince can be converted to international license which last for a year.
    Wrong! There is no such thing as a separate "international driving licence". An International Driving Permit is simply a translation in standard format into several languages of an underlying national licence. It is not a licence in its own right.

I converted my UK license to a HK license but not sure if it works the other way around... Not sure about the theory test either as it didn't apply back in the day.

Sorry, I guess not much help.

I wouldn't do it even if you could. There's a reason the UK test is harder to pass - you require a higher standard of skills to deal with all the conditions in the UK! People drive MUCH faster there and obey the road rules to a greater degree - meaning that drivers will EXPECT you to obey the road rules and you'll cause accidents if you don't (unlike HK which while not as awful as Malaysia, where I drove for a couple of years, is still pretty lax by UK standards).

Being able to drive well is a useful skill. Take the time to acquire it.

bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Wrong! There is no such thing as a separate "international driving licence". An International Driving Permit is simply a translation in standard format into several languages of an underlying national licence. It is not a licence in its own right.
    i never implied it was a seperate license, merely an extension of your current hk licience, what i do know is that minor driving offences in uk are usually let off my uk polices as the paper work to fine an non-uk licence is not worth the bother and a slap on the wrist is normally given

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    note the chinese site of idp states this is also known as 國際車牌 (gok chai che pai/pure transliteration international driving licence )which is the same word in chinese as an international driving licence as oppose to the english site which differentiate the two

this is due that the official name 國際駕駛許可證/gok chai ka sai hui ho jing/translitered as international driving permit is a mouthful and cumbersome to say in chinese

http://www.1823.gov.hk/big5/FAQ/020005/index.shtm

If you go on the DVLA website you can find out immediately whether your HK licence is transferrable.

From what I can tell, HK is on a list of 'countries' with agreements with the UK DVLA so you can transfer your licence. Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by mrdollars; 01-03-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: wrong hyperlink

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I wouldn't do it even if you could. There's a reason the UK test is harder to pass - you require a higher standard of skills to deal with all the conditions in the UK! People drive MUCH faster there and obey the road rules to a greater degree - meaning that drivers will EXPECT you to obey the road rules and you'll cause accidents if you don't (unlike HK which while not as awful as Malaysia, where I drove for a couple of years, is still pretty lax by UK standards).

Being able to drive well is a useful skill. Take the time to acquire it.
    malaysia is not that bad, but china is even worse, uk driving licence has become harder partial due to joyriding and many deaths by youth/inexperience/reckless culture which is more prominent in UK than HK ( just look at the number of burnt out cars in uk's estates)

Plus, in the UK, if you drive like a tail-gating asshole, someone will pull you over and kick your ass, whereas here you can do it to your heart's content.

imparanoic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast