Like Tree30Likes

to peugeot or no in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

@mr$$$ ---> ouch!

based on the reviews it aint that bad. the geopatters seem to say no tho...

I did like that mitsubishi that wtb posted a link to... altho abit OTT with the ralliart stickers... at least it didnt have a chandelier tho

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    I'll take your 2001 and raise you a 2012! http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...1178/glass.pdf

No wonder people get confused when even the government website is all over the place
    Thanks for the update, I searched on the TD website and it only showed me the 2001 page.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    yes, choice is limited due to very limited demand, also fords have a local stigma especally among the older generations, ie, during the early 80's, not to dissimilar to european's opinion about skoda ( btw, great budget vw cars) due dodgy quality when their were still owned by the czechs, or datsuns ( nissian older uk/us brand during 60's/70's and early 80's) to the even older generations

i actually own a 08 ford focus 2.0 ghia, it drives nicely and was also car of the year among european awards, but my older relatives are still not convinced.
    Actually Ford was quite highly regarded in the 80's, when they were mostly selling Japanese Ford here. It tanked at around the time the first gen Mondeo was introduced.

When I was browsing for a new car earlier this year I asked the dealers if they would take my 2010 Fiesta for trade in. They were reluctant to take it and offered 20-30K. I think I will keep it for a while longer.

I reckon Scrambler should get the Pugget, mainly because it is a small light commercial delivery vehicle. That means it will be mechanically simpler, easier to work on than say a modern passenger car/mpv as low cost servicing would have been in mind, ie cabin controls will be simple, suspension/drive train again will be generally easy to fix/replace. importing parts from the uk via an oem should be reasonable on this one, certainly a lot cheaper than their passenger cars which can be uneconomical to repair here, just like Saabs, Volvos, Opels ( what i call orphan brands) which are best to be avoided after 10 years of age.

Also in regard to EU produced Fords, they really have one of the worst resale values in hk, Imps a fan of the focus, i am not, the interior is the act of a retard in my opinion and it isnt ageing well, looks dated, not learning their lesson with the fugly Ka of a decade ago which there is definitely some genesis. lots of focus's are going to end up at the kam tin scrappers, an entirely forgetable generic whitegoods on wheels that wont be collected like a gen 4 or 5 vw Golf/scirocco will, which has one of the best exterior / interior design languages in the car industry. coppied by many. nobody is copying the focus, for good reason....I do like the new US Fusion though, and dont mind the Aussie made Fords ie the FPV Typhoon etc I ve owned a couple of their V8 muscle cars in the past. just my 2 cents worth lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

If the OP really likes it then I don't see why not. Getting parts is actually not a huge problem, there are a few shops that specialize in Peugeot, and there is a Peugeot owners' club. Resale value is practically zero, as is the case of all European cars that are not BMW or Benz, but if it is cheap enough then it really isn't an issue.

cool lemme check out these pigepot shops - which shops u recommend?

Kwong Hing motor works in sai kung can service the pugget, easilly enough, no problem there. They also do pre purchase vehicle inspections, so get the Partner inspected, if its in good overall condition mechanically, then servicing should be economical. imho Being a cat 2 vehicle, if you keep it tidy, you should get most of your money back if you decide to sell it later...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

yeah weird that cos its them who's selling it, no idea what the maintenance costs are. I was pretty keen for it.. basic is good 4 me
    what sort of thing u think is a good price check? oil filter , brake pad changes, oil filter gasket? how long for parts.. seems like a lot of more research required for the peoget altho i do like the simplicity but the missus wants power steerin, i might pop over for a test drive monday

tried out a subaru today. was pretty clean, they were actually washing it as we showed up, ran out of gas was a bit scary cos the power steering and brakes went down...

slight judder in the steerin wheel as it hit 80 - reckons the wheels out of balance, i said lets test it again
    next week if its a simple fix ---> also goin down the highway i floored it an it gave a proper honkie taxi vibe! u know the off on gas pedal make u rock back an forward.

might have been about to run of gas gonna try an get it do that again - oh yeah its got a turbo

anyone offer a qualified mech check? i watched a few youtubes an I did a lot on 70's an 80's cars ( vauxhall viva was my first car! several knackered mini, spitfire, merc an mr2 )

how much to pay for that? i shone a flash light on joints/suspension and drive shafts- looked alright.

one thing- they claimed that the MOT is sort of easy here? no massive shakes- brakes, and emissions,, jus pay $530?
    no idea cos motorbikes dont need em

Original Post Deleted
    Same. 1450 hkd for a European car, a bit cheaper for a Japanese car.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    yeah weird that cos its them who's selling it, no idea what the maintenance costs are. I was pretty keen for it.. basic is good 4 me
    what sort of thing u think is a good price check? oil filter , brake pad changes, oil filter gasket? how long for parts.. seems like a lot of more research required for the peoget altho i do like the simplicity but the missus wants power steerin, i might pop over for a test drive monday

tried out a subaru today. was pretty clean, they were actually washing it as we showed up, ran out of gas was a bit scary cos the power steering and brakes went down...

slight judder in the steerin wheel as it hit 80 - reckons the wheels out of balance, i said lets test it again
    next week if its a simple fix ---> also goin down the highway i floored it an it gave a proper honkie taxi vibe! u know the off on gas pedal make u rock back an forward.

might have been about to run of gas gonna try an get it do that again - oh yeah its got a turbo

anyone offer a qualified mech check? i watched a few youtubes an I did a lot on 70's an 80's cars ( vauxhall viva was my first car! several knackered mini, spitfire, merc an mr2 )

how much to pay for that? i shone a flash light on joints/suspension and drive shafts- looked alright.

one thing- they claimed that the MOT is sort of easy here? no massive shakes- brakes, and emissions,, jus pay $530?
    no idea cos motorbikes dont need em
    First off, HK insurance companies seem to have a problem with subaru's, so expect to pay a lot more, especially if it's turbo charged. Just be aware of that, even mundane standard non turbo Forester and Legacy wagons attract a higher than usual insurance premium.

General consumer parts like oil/fuel filters, spark plugs, and air cleaner element, should be pretty average price wise like any other mainstream manufacturer. You should be able to get these items ( OEM ) inexpensively via the UK from any large chain parts supermarket, or whatever the eqv is in the UK. Even things like sump/rocker/head gaskets should be o.k, alternators ( likely a Valeo unit ) shouldnt cost more than about $1500 for a brand new replacement etc, so it's going to hardly be of any real concern. IMHO.... Brake pads/shoes ( if it has drum brakes on the rear ) should cost between $300 - $700 per set, which is what they cost for a Toyota Hiace of the same age.

The main advantage with the Peugeot Partner is that it is a commercial vehicle, ie bog stock mechanically with very simple cabin/engine bay, electrics. If the van doesnt have power steering, well at least that's an area that wont be prone to leaking PS fluid lol...

I reckon if the pugget drives properly/nice, and passes a thorough inspection ( expect to pay about $500 to $900ish ) then you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 27-04-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast