Like Tree5Likes

Motorbike Riding in Hong Kong: Filtering (Lane Splitting) Etiquette

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Best way Lootoo!

audiot likes this.

sgdhfjgkhljk/l:""?

Overtake in between lanes is the way to go, most drivers will tend to move closer to the curbside if they see you coming. If they don't, just wait for the traffic to start moving, a space will open up.

Don't split in the tunnels, the roads are narrow, and their isnt space for a car to move over to allow you through, safely.

I have seen cops pull over bikers for crossing over a single white lane(while splitting) into a bus lane, so don't do that.

Be careful riding on the white lines, slippery and squishy in rain/sunny days. Makes your bike squirrelly.

Be careful splitting when there is a turn and a larger vehicle(truck, bus,etc), they make wide turns and if you are in the middle with a vehicle on your left and larger vehicle on your right turning, you will get caught in the middle with no space to move. Very scary.

If a bus/taxi/van is stopped, don't overtake curbside, as they probably letting passengers on/off.

Lights on all the time, high viz gear especially during the rainy season when visibility is low.

Use your best judgment! When in doubt, pretend the other driver doesn't see you.

Last edited by rlleung; 07-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlleung:
    Overtake in between lanes is the way to go, most drivers will tend to move closer to the curbside if they see you coming.
    Ive seen more drivers deliberately close the "gap" rather than make more space for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by oki_boy:
    Ive seen more drivers deliberately close the "gap" rather than make more space for me.....

Do a long burn out next to them and make them breath rubber LOL

They don't like it when you respond by rapping in the back of their Mercedes or Bentley with your carbon knuckles.

I ride to work everyday, dry or wet no matter what. Been doing that for the past 6 years since I have been back. Honestly, when you ride in Hong Kong, you just have to keep in mind that all those nut jobs on the road are trying to kill you. And most of the time they really do.
    They love to close in gap for no particular reason to make it hard for bike riders to change lanes.
    I sqeeze pass all the traffic in the morning to get to work, two tunnels, the tate and harbour tunnel.
    I squeeze through all the piling up traffic in the morning, and you just have to be careful, really careful.
    Make sure they know you are there.