Like Tree79Likes

Looking for a fun used car for under 22000 X-type Jags look really inexpensive, are there anyissues with owning the

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Looking for a fun used car for under 22000 X-type Jags look really inexpensive, are there anyissues with owning the

I know this isn't much money but have seen some fairly interesting cars for this kind of price. X-type Jags look really inexpensive, are there any issues with owning them in HK? Also i looked at a saab 900 convertible $17k, with a years warranty for mechanical issues, but have been warned away from it by my local mechanic who says he wouldn't take it if it were free. A bit tempted by a lexus ls400 which can be had for around this price, apparently they are bullet proof, massive car and engine but MPG is actually not too bad at around 25. Basically looking for something that has a bit of style and if looked after will last me well, any thoughts much appreciated.

Last edited by yangnaifen; 03-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.

BMW E46 3 series would fit in your price range (and probably some newer E90s). They are great to drive but also practical for daily use.

yangnaifen likes this.

Yes, great cars... but finding a good one thats been looked after might be hard for $22k. Not impossible though.

yangnaifen likes this.

Xtype Jag is what you consider FUN???

Most locals will tend to stay away from cheap 2nd hand European cars especially if its nearly 10 years old as they have a saying for example Merc's electronics start playing silly buggers after like 6-7 years old and to get them fixed can cost an arm and a leg. Parts for SAAB can be hard to find and if you use original new ones can be quite expensive as well that is why your local mechanic said he wouldnt take it even if its was FREE Haa Haa

LS400 is a 4000 cc engine car, your yearly road permit fee is top of its class, nearly 10K a year, fuel costs etc etc can all add up.

You need to describe what you consider as fun so that we can give you more options.

2 door / 4 door, how many seats, 2wd or 4wd, convertible or not etc

give us more hints and I can bombard you with recommendations

yangnaifen and Titus like this.

Haha X-type fun as in bang for buck, basically something that is comfortable has a quality feel despite the price, and will last if well maintained. A friend of mine bought an old 3 series convertible BMW (classic shape), it has been really reliable and great for the weekend. He reckons that in Hong Kong many of the locals are not interested in older cars so there are some real bargains such as old mercs bmw, etc. So rather than spend the money on an old Toyota, I was thinking it might be possible to find something a bit nicer that is actually pretty good value?

Biggest issue with modern Jags, of all types, is control arm and suspension bushes. They do tend to deteriorate earlier here and you have to buy the complete assembly to replace. Jaguar spares prices here will make your eyes water, you can however purchase from companies such as Rimmer Bros in the UK with OEM parts at 25% of the cost here.

yangnaifen likes this.

also, how many doors isn't really important, ideal 4/5 seats is ok but also don't really mind, I also don't mind how many wd, would love a convertible, but again am flexible. Just looking for something that is quality and possibly undervalued and will last with loving care ; )

This is the first time I ever heard anyone using the word "fun" to describe an Jag X..... I would get a Mazda MX5 with that money for "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    This is the first time I ever heard anyone using the word "fun" to describe an Jag X..... I would get a Mazda MX5 with that money for "fun".
    He only wants to spend what looks like around $20K which in my opinion regardless of what he buys isn't going to buy much of what I would describe as fun goes.

A decent ( unmodified ) MX5 in very good mechanical order and rust free shape would be in the $35,000 region for an early 90's example. No argument about them being a great handling car, a bit under powered, but certainly fun being rear wheel drive. Also, they are a pretty impractical car, having only 2 seats and a small boot/trunk. They work well as a second car though.

Another car in the same price range that would be deemed a nice drive would be a Lexus IS200 or IS300, providing it is in totally unmodified from factory original spec, including the original wheels etc. They're not a bad looking car inside and out, and they handle well, with an excellent well sorted, very refined rear wheel drive train. Classy without being Nippon Clippon if kept stock original...A very nice low owner example in well maintained condition will set you back around $30 - $40K.

Photos above just to give you an idea, I couldnt find a right hand drive photo of an unmodified one that hadnt escaped the tuner arseholes.( I HATE THOSE IDIOTS !)

A dark charcoal grey one with beige leather interior and a sunroof would be quite a nice combination, in my opinion. These hold their present value pretty well, generally quite reliable, easy to live with, especially the 3.0 litre 6cyl version, which is a very sweet motor.

My advice like Jay Kay has iterated, keep well away from Jaguars, Volvo's, Saabs, Opels,Alfa Romeo, Audi, Renaults, Citroens, Peugeots, Fiats & European produced Fords, or you will get a financial nose bleed every time you need to purchase replacement parts through the HK agent.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast