Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dtb
  • 1 Post By mrdollars

any recommendation on good car dealers?

Closed Thread

any recommendation on good car dealers?

I am new to HK, and need to get a car to commute to work. I do not have a clue as to the prices of the cars here. Is there any car dealer that is good to work with?

Do not use any dealer beginning with a V. based in Tin Hau.

Run by an ex con with an appalling reputation in the trade.

From what I gather the second hand car market is a nightmare in HK. Serious caveat emptor applies. Always ask for service histories etc, although often they are "lost" so you can't check mileage and clocking is the norm rather than the exception.

Before you commit, get the car checked over by a mechanic like Fookie Motors, 2565-6166 who has been in business decades, and I have trusted for over 10 yrs as well. I'm sure there are others.

Also check out the private sales on this site, a lot cheaper than the dealers, and then get the car checked by mechanic.

Good luck.

Last edited by Cwbguy; 11-07-2013 at 01:42 PM.

We got ours from the car mall in Tsuen Wan
    http://www.automall.com.hk/
    The one in Wan Chai is pointless unless you want to get a ferrari or some other very high end car.
    I would avoid using Chun fat motors, not because of the sale but because they dont want to know you after you collect the car.

Get warranty in writing, and definitely don't believe mileage as shown on dial.
    HK AA will check roadworthy or not for a fee
    Sent from my HTC One X using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by croash:
    Get warranty in writing, and definitely don't believe mileage as shown on dial.
    HK AA will check roadworthy or not for a fee
    Sent from my HTC One X using GeoClicks Mobile
    Do your best to get parts and labour warranty for at least 6 mnths.

Labour only is usually offered.

Many thanks for the information. It does sound tricky with the odometer. Never knew that it can be adjusted!
    Some of my friends asked me to check out a few of these dealers from SCMP, friends said they comes up on SCMP very often.

- Gainfull Motors
    - GP Motors
    - MY Motors
    - Vin's Motors /Vincent Motors.. Are they the same company?

I have checked them on their website, but not sure whether to give them a call, so would like some advice before I get into these. Please advise if you have any experience with them?

Unless you are after a model which the local authorized dealers did not import/sold, never buy a parallel imported car. Majority of them are either involved in traffic accidents and/or water damaged. What those parallel importers did is simply bid them cheaply and do a cheap restore locally. You can tell by looking at the registration document and notice that the manufacture year not matching with the first HK registration year (something like 2010(MY)/2013(FRY).)

Another thing is, whenever a car dealer asking you to leave a deposit before test drive, walk away. If you decide to buy the car, never use the garage recommended by the 2nd hand dealer. Again, if the dealer asking a deposit before letting you to do the inspection by your garage, walk away. There are so many horror stories about people being conned by used car dealers in HK.

This is one of the garage specialized in inspecting car, FYR

http://www.hkmi.com.hk/eng/index.php

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyJ:
    - Vin's Motors /Vincent Motors.. Are they the same company?
    Yes

AVOID.

Also being a new (used) car owner I've learned there is a heck of a lot crap out there. I used 28car.com to find one, but in retrospect I think visiting a good dealer and getting a decent warranty is the safest bet. Damaged/repaired cars seem to be quite common, so always get an AA check before you buy. Also get an HK first registered car, it will says so on the vehicle licence.

Skyhook likes this.

Many thanks for the useful suggestions. I am gathering my search and will be paying some visits to the car exhibitions and dealers for more ideas.