Like Tree15Likes

Stolen car

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ok. It turns out my friend had third party only insurance. So no theft cover. He has a friend who is somewhat unsavoury and he asked him to ask around. He managed to find out who stole the car and told the guys he wanted it back.

His friend brokered the deal but had no involvement with the theft he just knows the right people to ask.

Is third party only insurance very common here? It's very rare in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen:
    Very common here, especially for those with cheap cars.

Ok. It turns out my friend had third party only insurance. So no theft cover. He has a friend who is somewhat unsavoury and he asked him to ask around. He managed to find out who stole the car and told the guys he wanted it back.

His friend brokered the deal but had no involvement with the theft he just knows the right people to ask.

Dodgy friend that found out who stole his car, definitely part of the theft I reckon.

HK minimum requirements for vehicles is 3rd party only so most ppl have 3rd party only. For motorbikes its even harder to get full comprehensive insurance.

My brother-in-law just told me u can use his 7 seater. Mid range but old. I asked him to confirm I would be insured and its 3rd party only. This put me off. Would it be expensive for me to pay to upgrade his insurance to 3rd party, fire, theft?

Ball park expensive

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    HK minimum requirements for vehicles is 3rd party only so most ppl have 3rd party only. For motorbikes its even harder to get full comprehensive insurance.
    His friend only found out after he asked him to look into it but yes something smells if fish.

I was looking at the KTM 400 bike but I am worried about theft. I good locks blah blah but they want to steal it, it's gone. That's a worry us I hear its common here.

who do you ask for stolen vehicles? why do we bother to have police.

Do they even do 3rd party, fire and theft here ?

I have not heard of that style of policy being made available here and to be honest, car insurance is about as SHIT as it gets. Well compared to Australia, car insurance in HK is shit.

A 3rd party fire and theft policy via AAMI in AUS would even pay for your cars damage if it was proven not to be your fault. So much more convenience offered than the bullshit games they play here.

Comprehensive insurance is just ridiculously priced here, hence why very few people do it.

Oxygen likes this.

My brother-in-law just told me u can use his 7 seater. Mid range but old. I asked him to confirm I would be insured and its 3rd party only. This put me off. Would it be expensive for me to pay to upgrade his insurance to 3rd party, fire, theft?

Ball park expensive
    depends on the year of the vehicle, your age, your job description and do you have any previous NCB (no claim bonus).

ball park, 3rd party for guy over 25 years old, non high risk job, less than 10 years old vehicle, around 3-4K is my guess.

5K excess.
    Oxygen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    who do you ask for stolen vehicles? why do we bother to have police.
    I agree but he felt it was the easiest way to get the car back. If it helps his girlfriend us an ex-copper so maybe she understood the real possibility of him getting the car back that way.

I agree but he felt it was the easiest way to get the car back. If it helps his girlfriend us an ex-copper so maybe she understood the real possibility of him getting the car back that way.
    but who do you ask? is there a hotline? do they have publish their whatsapp or wechat contact?