Like Tree30Likes

Can people stop crashing on a straight road?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    The driver was a P plate driver but was carrying his gf/wf not sure which one but both got run over and died instantly
    Yea that was sad for the g/f (or fiancee/wife if I remember correctly); she was feeling sick and decided not to ride her scooter but still wanted to make it to work so the guy decided to give her a ride... RIP Or at least they were said to have died instantly....

The new road layout on the Tolo Highway, near Hong Lok Yuen exit is causing confusion. Saw a taxi last week that had just ploughed straight into the plastic barriers, head on. Also, what's with people driving at night with just the front fogs on? or worse, only sidelights.

climber07 likes this.

whats with people driving with fogs an full beam on.... or is this a sai kung thing?

that accident with the scooter looks like they were in a rush to get to work... either over confidence or inexperience is what lead to that unfortunate incident..

i find that scooterist here verge on suicidal compared to motorcyclists.. altho saying that a swarm of R6 did some very stupid moves las weds nite coming along the 70 zone next to the old air port... very busy - and I'm embarassed to say I nearly clipped one cos he zipped in front me just as I kicked down.. i estimate he was doin 100++ between cars on a packed highway...

be careful out there especially on the straight roads!

Driving too fast and poor vehicle control a common HK driving trait.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatelvis:
    The new road layout on the Tolo Highway, near Hong Lok Yuen exit is causing confusion. Saw a taxi last week that had just ploughed straight into the plastic barriers, head on. Also, what's with people driving at night with just the front fogs on? or worse, only sidelights.
    I don't get it, but it seems quite common here not to put on your headlights at night, just sidelights or fogs... Is there a reason for this? Is it uncool to be seen?
    Last edited by mrdollars; 03-08-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    elliee likes this.

yikes! actually I nearly witnessed one of these myself recently.. and had to filter thru the aftrmath.

goin up clearwater bay road I was slowed by 2 vehicles - when it changed to 70 zone i zipped past em.
    one of who musta been provoked by my overtake... cos he floored his sporty merc to keep up - and was extremely close to my bum! since I was doin 89 i pulled left an let him pass as i aint racing ppl these days..

pulled in for gas - 5 mins later total gridlock on the hill b4 the prison... bannana brain in his merc had some how crashed into LHS barrier. spun round. and hit barrier on otherside...

I hope his Daddy didnt mind payin for the repairs... im wondering how he managed it? that sort of expensive car shoulda been able to do that corner at 100+

Falling asleep or dreaming of their mistresses, getting distracted and scared of a bee or just a blackout. Whatever. Everything possible.

Last edited by Tom007; 05-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.

I think the main problems with the locals in fast cars is that they never really learn to drive properly. Let's face it, there's not much place TO drive here. If you learn to drive in the UK, you probably did a few 4 or 5 hour trips on holiday every year; much more so in the USA or Australia; you probably think nothing of the odd 1 or 2 hour drive for something and maybe do that every weekend ... here, everything is small, everywhere is close, there is not the range of driving conditions (no snow, no ice) that teach you how to control a car in a skid etc. They are just CRAP drivers. Even the white locals, just to be non-racist about it. Took a "white local" (lived here 20+ years) to Taiwan and we hired a car - she was unable to drive there because the conditions were so different. (We struggled too, but managed). I think if you live somewhere with more road, more different types of road, roads that actually have high speed limits and more different types of weather and traffic, you learn to drive better. Many local's never get that chance.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-08-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    scrambler likes this.

In my local (Kowloon) the streets around my place have low traffic. Which is all well and good. BUT I find that many seem to get lost and take things slowly, peering down streets while blazenly not giving a rats ass about anybody else including other cars.

Rarely I see indicators used.

What I hate at one intersection I come to and if there is an oncoming car I wait for them to pass before crossing (common sense really) but what usually happens is the car will slow, the driver will peer down the street and even turn down with no indicator. While I'm still standing there in the hot sun! Or worse I think they are turning and all of a sudden they think no it's not right and speed up going straight ahead while I am already in the middle of the road having to scurry like a rabbit across the road.

Then you have the idiots that stop in the middle of the road, don't car about the buses and cars behinh blaring their horns while they ask for directions.

Really annoying.

But driving or being a pedestrian on the mainland is 100 times worse. Biggest hate is the buses using their airhorns in built up areas and cities. Scares shit out of you when it's uncalled for.

scrambler likes this.