Like Tree25Likes

Question about importing a car to HK

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

i have seen 7 year old dc5 based acura rsx ( looks like a 2nd gen import only JDM intregra type r), but only 160 bhp) for HK$70k with apparently ok milage on the other expat site, if genuine, could be decent and pretty powerful and agile car, but beware of dodgy car sales ( hk consumer protection is not very good) some supposed private adverts are really dealers ( the rip off)

The HK AA have an "all-in" service to handle everything. You can get an online quote fairly quickly, which might help to compare.
    The link

http://www.hkaa.com.hk/en/page.php?id=31#.Ui6vP6NuvFo

Sent from my HTC One X using GeoClicks Mobile

I bought the car from a private seller, paid him £5200 all in cash. I don't have any receipts or proof of purchase. Since I have no way to prove I paid for £5200 for the car will it possible for me to blag it and that I paid £3000 instead?

The car is not modified and is stock. Also the dial is in MPH. It shows KPH but its too tiny to see. When you say repair bills do you mean things like new tyres and brake pads? The car is in good health and never had any issues. Only fail MOT for silly things like worn tyres and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by guildhall:
    I bought the car from a private seller, paid him £5200 all in cash. I don't have any receipts or proof of purchase. Since I have no way to prove I paid for £5200 for the car will it possible for me to blag it and that I paid £3000 instead?

The car is not modified and is stock. Also the dial is in MPH. It shows KPH but its too tiny to see. When you say repair bills do you mean things like new tyres and brake pads? The car is in good health and never had any issues. Only fail MOT for silly things like worn tyres and brakes.
    Firstly, you do realise this is a public forum right? that you have revealed pretty much every detail of the car, how much you actually paid, where you are going to live, when you are coming? That it isn't just us numptey expats who can read English in HK and search for information. Geoexpat threads come quite high in the search results usually.

Secondly, if you do not have a receipt to prove how much you paid, do you really think HK Customs are just going to take your word for it? You must provide documented proof of purchase, and if it does not provide a value which they think fairly reflects the value in HK, they can just apply their own.

Seriously, just sell the car, buy one of the extremely low mileage cars you can get here. Get a bargain! With your moral viewpoint, you and a HK 'low mileage' car belong together.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

I don't know how it works in HK but in the UK you ring the private seller, view the car and pay him. You don't get receipts or any government protection when buying from private. I paid £5200 and got him to sign a AA secondhand car contract (which anyone can print via their site):

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...scontract.html

Will the HK gov will accept this?

Sorry about the "blag" comment I was obviously not thinking straight.

I got the car from private so I called the seller, viewed the car, and then paid him £5200 cash on hand then drove the car back home in 2011. I printed an AA buyer/seller contract (printable from their site) and got him to sign it however anybody can print this from the AA site and it is not a proper DVLA or government document. As everyone knows we don't get much protection from the UK government when it comes to buying from private so I have no proper receipts.

Will the HK gov accept this?

If they are going to make up their own valuation for my car then it is surely going to be high as the EP3 is quite rare, is this correct?

As for my previous post, sorry I was clearly not thinking straight!

Last edited by guildhall; 12-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guildhall:
    I got the car from private so I called the seller, viewed the car, and then paid him £5200 cash on hand then drove the car back home in 2011. I printed an AA buyer/seller contract (printable from their site) and got him to sign it however anybody can print this from the AA site and it is not a proper DVLA or government document. As everyone knows we don't get much protection from the UK government when it comes to buying from private so I have no proper receipts.

Will the HK gov accept this?

If they are going to make up their own valuation for my car then it is surely going to be high as the EP3 is quite rare, is this correct?

As for my previous post, sorry I was clearly not thinking straight!
    I doubt it. They will more likely refer to any official valuations - doesn't the AA produce a "red book" or something with typical car values? That's probably a better place to start.

I have no idea on what they would accept. You are required to fill in this form detailing all the values for calculation of the taxable value. http://www.customs.gov.hk/filemanage...ms/ced336a.pdf

You must submit all original documents with photocopies. I remember we submitted the original invoice for the bike from an authorised dealer where we bought the bike from new, and it didn't list the company number (or maybe it was VAT number, can't remember). We got a request to provide the missing information.

Customs was our biggest hurdle in importing the bike. From memory it took 4 weeks or so to get the valuation.

Edit: Maybe you should read this post also http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/6...tml#post397897 in considering whether to bring the car. Skyhook is still around on these forums, maybe he can confirm if the lower value on imports still applies.

Last edited by kimwy66; 12-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5