Like Tree5Likes

What 4WD?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What 4WD?

My company has an old Toyota Landcruiser but it's slowly falling apart and may not pass the next inspection, so we are considering to buy a new 4WD vehicle. Not some fancy SUV but a real 4WD that can climb hills and drive through dirt roads.

Since I am not familiar with the car market / prices here I wonder if anyone knew some suitable cars preferably below 500k?
    If that's not possible we may need to consider a 2nd hand vehicle as function is more important than being brand-new.

The best real off-roader is the Land Rover Defender. Or if the budget permits a Discovery (I owned one for a few years in the 90s taking it over some very dodgy stuff in Russia in the middle of winter, equipped with engine block pre-heater, extra fuel tanks, anti-hijack fuel cutoff devices, and so on, not that that's something you'd need here)

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 09-09-2013 at 11:23 PM.

For real 4WD capability, with generally very good durability, My 1993 80 series VX Sahara Turbo Diesel 4WD is still going strong back in Australia and that's seen lots of hard yakka action. Gone places with that would have smashed a Range Rover to pieces, plus the fuel tanks ( their are two = 135 litres ) gave considerably longer range than any other competitor, for me that was important.

I'd only consider 3 vehicles for durable/serious 4 wheel driving, in order of preference:

A proper landcruiser GX, GXL 4 x 4 ( not a Prado ) preferably the 5.7 litre V8 Diesel ( 10.8litres per 100km )

Nissan Patrol, not sure if these are sold in HK, as I have never seen one here, but pretty similar to the Toyota in its off road capabilities and certainly durability.

Isuzu Trooper, not pretty to look at, but certainly capable off road and generally pretty tough/durable. Should be priced within your price range. If you can get a turbo diesel, you'll benefit greatly due having a lot more torque, not to mention greatly reduced fuel consumption.

You could also consider a Mitsubishi Pajero, but I reckon they've gone a bit light weight over the last decade, not as good as they used to be.

Avoid anything that is European, or you will enjoy massive financial pain the moment a rock smashes something expensive underneath that wasnt properly thought out in the first place, which is why the Uited Nations dont use range rovers out in the Middle East. They use Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols for good reason.

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    which is why the Uited Nations dont use range rovers out in the Middle East. They use Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols for good reason.
    And the armies use Land Rover Defenders.

Thanks guys, we are not planning to go to war though.

Any place online where I can find prices for the Mitsubishi Pajero or Isuzu Trooper? Or would it be better to walk into the dealership?

Edit: Trooper is discontinued, so that's not going to work.

Last edited by Raccon; 09-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.

I'm curious where you plan to go seriously off-road in Hong Kong?

lau fa shan has a few dirt tracks that will test how easy your seats can be cleaned...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I'm curious where you plan to go seriously off-road in Hong Kong?
    No idea really, my colleagues say we need something similar to a Landcruiser as a normal SUV supposingly won't cut it. I guess mainly because they sometimes have to transport heavy equipment and 2-3 people at the same time up to some hilltops and in most weather conditions.

Landrover Defender Station Wagon 110 looks suitable, they have the price online ($431,000). A but 'rustic' though.

Do you want a proper off-road vehicle or just something for posing?

I am not infrequently surprised by vehicles here with raised air intakes, which must be pure posing in 99% of cases. Is anyone going through deep sand or river crossings here?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 10-09-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Do you want a proper off-road vehicle or not?
    Hehe, actually yes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast