Like Tree10Likes

Anyone successfully applied for discretion in obtaining drivers licence in HK?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yep....totally unreasonable responses from people who were 'probably' lucky enough to have drivers licences from countries on the list...

Well done up their in your ivory towers...lol...

Last edited by INXS; 11-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To the OP: What countries would just take a person's word when issuing a driver's licence to a foreigner? Please tell us that we are being unreasonably incredulous at such a request because it would happen in France, Germany, Andorra, etc.

"I promise I'm a good driver and I used to have a licence in [country]."

"Oh okay then, Here you go."

Ain't going to happen where there is the rule of law.

TBH Claire, I think it might have been a bit easier not so long ago. When I first came to HK I was advised that it's worth 'trying your luck' for extra entitlements when you apply. The OP may have heard similar stories. Bit strange how everyone is suddenly coming the, 'HK is civilised and modern' raw prawn. What's with that?

It's Wednesday peeps., we're over the hump...

By virtue of his existing licence with the non-recognised country (and not, it's not an obscure island nation with only one road) which was obtained by virtue of the recognised licence - and the applicantdoes have some documentary evidence of the recognised licence, but not sufficient to meet strict requirements (ie. there are records of him holding the licence but they don't show sufficient detail such as current status).

Never mind - sorry I asked. Just off to de-register from Geo-expat as this has been a real eye opener as to the people who frequent these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by EmCam
    Never mind - sorry I asked. Just off to de-register from Geo-expat as this has been a real eye opener as to the people who frequent these forums.
    I think that's what they call a "win-win" result.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 11-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I think that's what they call a "win-win" result.

You guys are trying to do a Beadle's About on me aren't you? Someone's come on and asked a reasonable question....you've piled on and now he's leaving....it's saying something that I'm gobsmacked at your behaviours...

Quote Originally Posted by INXS
    You guys are trying to do a Beadle's About on me aren't you? Someone's come on and asked a reasonable question....you've piled on and now he's leaving....it's saying something that I'm gobsmacked at your behaviours...
    That time of the month? Feeling a bit overly sensitive are we? I've re-read the responses and I don't see much there for the OP to get so upset over.

There may have been one or two weak joking suggestions at giving a backhander, but what do you expect on a public forum?

The OP was deliberately vague with the details, then expects detailed, credible responses. *shrug*
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Tend to agree. OP should be more straight forward right from the start. Can't see the confidentially here. Btw what does it mean 'previously held' a german driving license. Any reasons?

Last edited by Tom007; 11-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Surely if the OP's friend is such a good driver with such extensive experience, taking the HK driving test shouldn't be such a big deal???!

As for keeping this mysterious country confidential, what gives?? I can't think of anywhere small enough in Europe that would allow us to track this mystery person down lol, and personally I have better things to do with my time (apart from at the moment when I'm enjoying wasting some time on Geo!).

And now de-registering? Ha boo sucks! Take your ball home why don't you? Where do these fragile people come from who never seem to have used the internet before and get all upset when they don't get the answer they wanted?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast