Like Tree10Likes

Anyone successfully applied for discretion in obtaining drivers licence in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone successfully applied for discretion in obtaining drivers licence in HK?

Hi, I've heard that in some special circumstances the head of the HK transport department will exercise discretion and issue a drivers licence even if you don't strictly fit the criteria.

Has anyone heard of someone successfully applying for discretion and getting a licence outside of the usual channels?

The situation is that the person's current drivers licence is from a country that's not listed as 'approved' by HK, and they can't find sufficient proof of their previous licence (which is from a country which IS recognised, but was issued so long ago that records have been lost!)

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

No proof No Chance

emx and INXS like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Soooooo, you want the licensing authority to take your word for it... or you're hoping to get one 'under the table'? wink wink nudge nudge

maybe in mainland china, a little bung here and there, you can get a mainland license at not so nice price without any prima facie evidence of foreign licence

(which is from a country which IS recognised, but was issued so long ago that records have been lost!)
    Hmmm, records lost or license lost due to excessive driving violations?

I cannot imagine that a civilised country would "lose" such data!
    Azuremain likes this.

Even MORE reason to need to do an actual test before taking to the roads here????

carang and Claire ex-ax like this.

no chance... do the test again.

you think the head of transport is a mate of yours that he's gonna help you out and vouch for you ?
    first of all, he may be a friend and advise you to fucking do the test...
    second of all, he helps you out, you get into an accident - you hurt somebody - police investigate it and discover you got a personal discretion from the TD - and he is fucked...

nowadays with the press all over officials exercising any favours - there is no way the head of TD is gonna help out his family member let alone you...

Disappointing

I am truly disappointed by the unnecessarily rude responses to what was a reasonable question.

The person on whose behalf I am posting is a safe and competent driver who has driven in a number of countries for over 40 years. He is just unfortunate enough that the country which has issued his most recent licence is not recognised by Hong Kong. It has not been necessary for him to keep records of his previous international licences - they were gained many years ago, and he has only needed his most recent licence to continue driving, as it is recognised in most other jurisdictions.

The information in respect of his previous international licences has been lost due to the passage of time as opposed to any driving offences.

I was certainly not seeking to obtain an advantage through corrupt practices, but rather asking whether there is any provision within transport regulations which allows for the exercise of discretion - I have subsequently been advised that there is.

I thought this was a helpful community for expats - apparently not.

Last edited by EmCam; 11-09-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spell checked.
    INXS likes this.

What country is it?

In the interests of confidentiality I can't say (sorry I know that sounds suspicious but I am speaking on someone else's behalf) it's a small European country, but he has previously held a german licence.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast