Driving in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have gotten a few dumb comments from people on my profile. Only new such a thing existed a few months ago. it was funny to read.[/QUOTE]

Hi there, how do you find out what ppl have commented on about you/your threads?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Yo Skyhook, what kind of vehicle do u drive. The price of petrol is a killer right now, it went up again a few days ago.

thinking of getting a 660cc vehicle, now that should be a laugh. 70-90 cent per km.

Yeah petrol is getting a bet exy these days. One of the reasons why we chose a Toyota 8 seater MPV , which has been very practical, and very cheap to run @ $1.70 per km, considering the cabin space.

We are considering a Toyota Prius, they get upto 65mpg on a good day.
    Name:  1036565124_506687ec8b.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  82.0 KB

Get a Toyota Prius WTBHOTIA, cheap as chips to run, more guts than a 660cc rice burner and the cheapest rate of road tax. i think its under $1000HKD to road tax a HYBRID, EV or " environmentally friendly " car. I assume insurance would be favourable too.

I have seen 2 parked in our complex car park, and noticed that HK police are now using them as patrol cars too. Which is good to see the HK Govt doing their part.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-05-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyanxx:
    I have gotten a few dumb comments from people on my profile. Only new such a thing existed a few months ago. it was funny to read.
    Hi there, how do you find out what ppl have commented on about you/your threads?[/QUOTE]

click forum options on the left hand side

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yeah petrol is getting a bet exy these days. One of the reasons why we chose a Toyota 8 seater MPV , which has been very practical, and very cheap to run @ $1.70 per km, considering the cabin space.

We are considering a Toyota Prius, they get upto 65mpg on a good day.
    Name:  1036565124_506687ec8b.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  82.0 KB

Get a Toyota Prius WTBHOTIA, cheap as chips to run, more guts than a 660cc rice burner and the cheapest rate of road tax. i think its under $1000HKD to road tax a HYBRID, EV or " environmentally friendly " car. I assume insurance would be favourable too.

I have seen 2 parked in our complex car park, and noticed that HK police are now using them as patrol cars too. Which is good to see the HK Govt doing their part.
    might be the sensible thing to do, just worry about the batteries, i hear that they are quite expensive to replace if they screw up. theres one in my village, i know its comng up the hill when i hear its bottom scrapping the uneven screwed up road. one of the reasons why i bought a petrol guzzler and also big cabin space to fit my 3 huskies.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    might be the sensible thing to do, just worry about the batteries, i hear that they are quite expensive to replace if they screw up. theres one in my village, i know its comng up the hill when i hear its bottom scrapping the uneven screwed up road. one of the reasons why i bought a petrol guzzler and also big cabin space to fit my 3 huskies.
    Batteries are good for atleast 160,000KM's or 10 years, whichever comes first. there hasnt been a case globally that the batteries have failed as yet, Prius has been in production since the NCW10, which was 1996. 1998 models seem to still be going o.k 10 years later, and at $3000US to replace all the batteries, that doesnt seem all that bad considering. I am sure there will be people out there who will either rejuvenate the spent batteries or offer more affordable OEM replacements, I wouldnt be too concerned about the batteries too much.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-05-2008 at 06:05 PM.

driving in HK

I don't find the level of road rage here -which is nice after Australia but there is certainly tailgating (I brake slightly and glare or give the bird) and changing lanes is tricky when large black limos tear past (why don't the cops get them? it never ever seems to be the case ,whereas poor old gweilos - oh and minivans are always pulled over,gripe gripe) The cops here are real tyrebiters and descend like vultures with multiple speedtraps bikes and cameras -quota grabbing!I take great delight in flashing everyone oncoming to warn them yes you have to do it carefully as it is an offence -but its really easy to lose your licence here -speaking from experience in the 30 k zones!!!
    The road system is good but too many signs and too many exits with the same destination e.g Sha Tin - can be reached from everywhere (?) apparently but then the signs stop and you are "whatthe f??"in the middle of the fast lane OH OH!!!

Thanks for the advice. I think driving in hk is pretty good, most people are good drivers - apart from taxis, mini buses, trucks, cars with mainland plates..oh that's pretty much 80% of drivers! Seriously i dont think its that bad
    but things i find annoying is that people dont like to use their indicators and yes the road signs are all very confusing if u are not familiar with an area and frequently you have to cut across many lanes to get to the correct lane. Police here have nothing to do apart from enforce the traffic laws it seems. i got a ticket and points for jumping a red light, i was wrong i admit, but now i see people jump red lights all the time and never get caught its so not fair!

I find the way to deal with the taxis is to be agressive. They will often back off. This is because they cannot afford to lose the use of their car, if it is damaged. So far it has worked for me.

For the most part drivers here are terrible, They stop in the middle of live traffic to let people out, or to stare at the world and wonder where they are heading.

I've been stopped once in hk by a cop, only because I went down a bus and taxi only road on my way to pacific place. The cop didn't speak english, and didn't know what to do with my Canadian drivers licence. He later just let me go.

A-J

I got my license in November but since then haven't had a chance to drive. The thing that annoyed me the most was the honking of the drivers behind me at red light. What the hell do they expect me to do? Jump over the cars ahead me and fly at red light? Eventually I had to shout back, then they calmed down... weird...