Like Tree1Likes

English Speaking Driving School

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

English Speaking Driving School

Seems the other threads on this are a bit old. I wanted to see if I could get a recommendation for a good English speaking school. HK School of Motoring seems ok, but expensive, and wants to charge me a lot more for "lectures" which I really don't have the time or interest to sit through. I'm a 30 something American who took Drivers Ed years ago in the US, but as I lived in NYC and never needed a car, never got a license, and my last driving experience was over 10 years ago. I think I just need a lot of experience behind the wheel.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Leekin are the other big driving school in hk

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Where are you?

Hi,
    based on HK island.

If you are not in a hurry you can arrange the whole driving test yourself, just go to the transport department and fill out forms. if on HK island, then you need to head to Admiralty (Queensway plaza I think).

1. you will need to do the written test, once passed you get a Learners license
    2. Hire private instructor (they usually charge minimum 10 hours fee, around 150-200 per hour which usually isnt a full hour but 45 mins), you can always buy more hours.
    3. transport department will give you a test date.
    4. You hire your instructors vehicle for the test

If you go the above route it works out hell of a lot cheaper but and its a big BUT, it might take you an year from the day you start applying for the driving test to the day you actually take the test.

Using driving schools can get you a faster date especially with HKSM.

Transport department website with full details, I did it this way myself but over 10 years ago.

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...es_/index.html

Last edited by wtbhotia; 23-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    scrambler likes this.

Thanks so much. I already got a Learner's Licence, without passing a written test. Will the private instructors allow me to drive without practicing the written test? I'm not sure how much I care about actually obtaining a licence. I have no plans to ever really drive in HK, no plans to buy a car and a HK licence doesn't convert to a US one. I just want to get over my dislike of driving and spend more time behind the wheel. I'm in my 30s so I had US learner's permits before, but never got a licence - don't like driving and living in Manhattan, had no need. It seems like some of the schools want you to pass the written test before getting behind the wheel.

I think someone mentioned HKSM has it's own driving course? This is appealing, but unfortunately they are expensive and want me to purchase some 10K package that includes lectures - no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    If you are not in a hurry you can arrange the whole driving test yourself, just go to the transport department and fill out forms. if on HK island, then you need to head to Admiralty (Queensway plaza I think).

1. you will need to do the written test, once passed you get a Learners license
    2. Hire private instructor (they usually charge minimum 10 hours fee, around 150-200 per hour which usually isnt a full hour but 45 mins), you can always buy more hours.
    3. transport department will give you a test date.
    4. You hire your instructors vehicle for the test

If you go the above route it works out hell of a lot cheaper but and its a big BUT, it might take you an year from the day you start applying for the driving test to the day you actually take the test.

Using driving schools can get you a faster date especially with HKSM.

Transport department website with full details, I did it this way myself but over 10 years ago.

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...es_/index.html

how did you get a learners license without doing the written test, do you have another license already??

If you have the proper green learners driving license with your name and HKID number and the vehicle category # then the instructors will let you drive on the road.

HKSM has their own private course, so does Kwun Tong Driving school, next to kwun tong ferry pier, that is where I'm doing my motorbike course, I reckon KTDS is cheaper than HKSM.

wtb are you sure that going through the driving school is faster? I thought its an urban myth of sort. I gave my written exam in May and got driving test date in March next year. I asked a local friend to call up the driving school after someone told me about them getting quicker dates, but she was told they can't really arrange such an outcome...

HKSM gets faster examination dates, the other schools dont, like Leekin, KTDS etc they just get whatever the TD throws at them

Which school you using Guns

No school, I had a driving license but lost it with my wallet and cant' get duplicate issued from India, so have to go through the whole hog...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast