Like Tree12Likes

No room for bicycles

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    There is a slight difference here. I am a member of several cycling organisations so I am speaking from a position where I have actual information where you and DeletedUser are speaking from positions of ignorance. It's that simple really.
    Always changing the goal posts slippery INXS eh? You stated that my opinion (and DeletedUser's) was not valid because of the use "I suspect" and "I think" even though you yourself had just used exactly the same terminology! That is a definite moment.

You also appeared to question the validity of my experience on Lamma but (as usual) didn't substantiate it.

You conveniently ignored my experience at an MTR with bicycles being parked there which is exactly what OP was looking for discussion on.

Your opinion (where you use the words "I think" and "I suspect" ) is just that - it's an opinion. Considering you don't appear to speak for the experience MTR commuters have, it seems to me like you opinion is incorrect.

Just because you're in a cycling club doesn't give you any greater status. You using that without substantiating anything isn't helpful nor is it persuasive. It's another moment.
    TheBrit and dipstick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I suspect that most road commuting bicyles will be far less than the amount INXS paid, so I believe that DeletedUser is correct.

I lived on Lamma, an obvious biking community, and could count on one hand the number of expensive looking bikes. The vast majority were run down, rusty squeaky contraptions.

For commuting, everyone would leave their bikes on the ferry pier - some locked, some not - and no one seemed to cry with worry about someone stealing their bike.

If HKers did cycle more, they'd start doing the crazy japanese thing of installing parasols on the handlebars and wearing arm socks!!
    Don't knock it. During the summer heat, those parasols are amazing. And they do a good job of poking Trance Omega in the eye once in a while when he's not looking. :-) Just imagine dodging them going 20 km/hr.

Original Post Deleted
    Ha ha. Does Watercooler have opinions on whether bikes should be ridden in typhoons?

perhaps the next administration won't be so closely aligned to the property developers and communities will get public facilities they need.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    perhaps the next administration won't be so closely aligned to the property developers...
    At the current rate, this is only possible in a parallel universe.

Original Post Deleted
    It probably depends on where you live. In DB bicycle theft is quite a problem, Mr. Elle and I had ours stolen, so did a number of neighbours. The bikes where chained in the shared bicycle rack in the building.
    According to the police, the crime is organised and the bike's are carried out of DB via construction trucks. As there are quite a number of renovations (sometimes entire villages, sometimes several units in a village or building) it is fairly easy for the thiefs to get away with it.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    It probably depends on where you live. In DB bicycle theft is quite a problem, Mr. Elle and I had ours stolen, so did a number of neighbours. The bikes where chained in the shared bicycle rack in the building.
    According to the police, the crime is organised and the bike's are carried out of DB via construction trucks. As there are quite a number of renovations (sometimes entire villages, sometimes several units in a village or building) it is fairly easy for the thiefs to get away with it.
    That's what I was told as well...it's organised, the bikes are broken into parts and shipped out.

HK Police do not publish any data on bike thefts

siteolice.gov.hk bicycle crime

But perhaps the biggest bike 'thief' is the transport department who regularly sweep up bike that are locked to railings in public places. Over 1000 notifications of 'confiscation' by the Gov. Nice little earner for someone...

Suspension of Bicycle Parking Spaces site:gov.hk

On Tai Po Road over the hills to the new territories isn't there is a government dump for 'collected' bikes.

Last edited by East_coast; 24-09-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Do any of the bike racks have recorded CCTV watching over them? If not only the management company to blame...

Last edited by East_coast; 24-09-2013 at 04:27 AM.