Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Titus
  • 1 Post By Titus
  • 2 Post By oki_boy

Sold the ZZR1400, onto an '08 GS Adventure

Sold the ZZR1400, onto an '08 GS Adventure

An experience for those who are thinking of getting a big bike in HK, GO FOR IT. You will NOT wish you gotten a scooter instead LOL

So after owning a 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R for 1 year and 18,000kms later I decided to sell it and get a used 2008 GSA from the local Ducati dealer's trade in fleet. It was a more logical choice in Hong Kong where the max speed limit is 110kph on the highway connecting the city to the airport. Being a new dad it was starting to make me feel guilty from all the risks the bike just puts me in by taking over my throttle wrist everytime I start the engine for the commute; over take every car and redline every gear (well the first 2 anyway). The wake up call was when I got pulled over by an undercover police 5 series; was lucky I did not end up having to take the bus to work from Saikung for 6 months. Decided maybe I'm not mature enough to handle the ZX14R.

So it was a moment of to say goodbye to the ZX14R but also a as I thought sweet, bike shopping again! Prior to the Kawa I rode a Vstrom for 6 months (until electrical problems with my particular bike drove me to trade it in) and a VFR before that. I figured I won't miss the sport/sport-touring riding position and quite enjoyed the Vstrom dual sport. So off I clicked on the local online motorcycle trading site. Saw a few ads and one 2008 GSA caught my eye; it had the factory panniers and top box, some touratech bits (clutch/brake reservoir protectors, skid plate). It was being sold by the local Ducati dealer so I expected a steeper than private sale price. Went in, talked to them and surprisingly they offered quite a big discount when they saw I was very serious. But it was only the first bike I looked at so I told them thanks but give me some time... looked at another cheaper (by 15%) 2006 GSA but read up some of the improvements they did in 2008 (no more servo assist brakes) and decided the 2008 with the Touratech bits (the 2006 didn't have the driving lights either) was worth the money. There was also a regular 2008 non-adventure GS for cheaper but I figured if I was gonna go with a heavier bike, I might as well go the whole way.

The Ducati dealer also had a 2011 Multistrada which was almost the same price as the 2008 GSA (shows how BMW holds their values compared to Ducatis ) but I thought to myself, the Ducati would get me into the same sort of trouble as the ZX14R, a detuned 1098 engine wrapped in a dual sport disguise. Don't get me wrong I know the GSA is stupidly fast compared to a lot of other bikes and cars, but I think the GSA is a bike different from the multi or sportbikes where you get an enjoyment simply cruising in it rather than needing to keep it on the boil to get any enjoyment. I figured if I was ever going to make my way back to Canada, the GSA would be the bike I want to import back with me.

So I took out what I was ready to pay in cash to counter offer the dealer; I knew they were a bit desperate since the bike has been sitting there for almost 3 months, not to stereotype (I'm of Chinese descent myself) but the average height of HK people doesn't really meet the requirement to handle the GS comfortably (the previous owner had bought the extra low seat but thank God didn't lower the bike like the previous owner did to my old Vstrom). Ended up paying the exact price on the sales contract that they paid the previous owner for it. It's got TKC80s on it right now which I think is pointless in Hong Kong, though I'll have some fun with it on a stretch of gravel road from my village house to the main road every day. Will switch to Anakee 3s when they wear out.

Looking forward to the faces on my Sunday ride buddies faces when I show up in the GSA; the group is mostly Aprilias, Ducs, Japanese big 4, with a few Norton and Enfields and even a Sunbeam thrown in the mix. They used to make fun of me for the comparatively massive Vstrom and then the ZX14R wait till they see the GSA in full touring luggage LOL

Goodbye Ninja

Hello GSA!

First impression was I needed to adjust my turning efforts, the bike turns SO MUCH FASTER than the ZZR, probably due to the narrow 150 section tires vs the 190 on the ZZR. It does feel a bit more twitchy compared to the bikes I have ridden (the zzr, vstrom and a vfr), probably due to the tall center of gravity and the fact that it's riding on TKC80 offroad tires? But nothing to complain about, just the nature of the bike to get adjusted to.

The paralever/telelever suspension setup is simply amazing for soaking up bumps; I would say a 150% improvement in comfort going over bumpy roads than the zzr. But the down side is, in my opinion, a lack of feedback from the steering; sometimes I have to look down at the speedometer to see if I'm going too fast because I simply cannot tell from the handle bar or seat feedback.

The brakes feel more powerful than the zzr's for some reason even though it's got smaller discs. Maybe something to do with power assisted brakes on BMWs. I had to adjust to it for the first few hours of riding because they seem a bit abrupt compared to other bikes. But again, powerful brakes are a good thing and it has ABS so don't have to worry about locking up the wheels.

Engine growl is nice though muted compared to the zzr (obviously, since I put 2 Brothers on my zzr). There's a bit more engine chatter at idle. It could be the clutch cable adjustment being made to suit the previous owner but I found the bike a bit easy to stall, I stalled 3 times so far since picking it up last night. Will get mechanic to check it over at the next service.

My wife sat on the back while it was on the center stand and she kept laughing from how huge the bike is; her head level is above the roof of our car.

Took a ride out to Luk Gang and noticed that I did not have to go any slower in the corners than I did on the ZZR when I'm really pushing it. Acceleration obviously is nothing compared to the ZZR, but I find the GSA gave me more enjoyment going at slow speeds. Very comfortable and never made me feel I had to break the speed limit to have fun. My butt hurt a little bit if I sit for long periods of time at the front of the seat. But right now I'm using the lowered seat which has a thinner cushion than the regular seat; will go back to the dealer to pick it up to see how that feels. I'm about 178cm tall and wear 32" inseam pants and the 25% front of my feet can touch the ground with both feet at a stop.

Oh and of course the heated grips were very nice last night going into Luk Gang with 11 degrees temp :em01:

Last edited by Titus; 03-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    USA40-40 likes this.

The Apocalypse Cow (stole this name off a guy who reviewed the GSA)

USA40-40 likes this.

wow that thing looks awesome!

Looks fantastic.

I used to follow a guy through the western tunnel in the mornings... He had a BMW GSA (prob 1200) and used to pull a wheelie when leaving the toll booth every time. He was my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Looks fantastic.

I used to follow a guy through the western tunnel in the mornings... He had a BMW GSA (prob 1200) and used to pull a wheelie when leaving the toll booth every time. He was my hero!
    LOL nice; yea seeing something that massive do anything just adds to the ridiculous-ness of it
    Just wanted to share this for those who are thinking about getting a bike in HK; I know a lot of friends were saying "oh riding in HK is so dangerous" or "oh I should get a small bike or scooter" but riding in HK is actually safer, IMO, than in the west; no left (right) turn on yellow, almost every intersection is controlled by traffic lights. And I think the brakes on smaller bikes or scooters are crap compared to sport or naked performance bikes and they don't give you enough power to get out of danger from Sunday drivers or quickly out of the blind spot of a 18 wheeler. I have never had any hassles with parking or riding through "narrow streets" that I wouldn't have had if I had a smaller bike; you just adapt your riding and improve your skills.

Cool, be sure to post a review of the bike after a good couple weeks of riding for our reading pleasure. Oh, anyone you ride with have a Panigale, HK Ducati said they sold 12 this year but I have yet to see one, one on the road at least.

yeh nice review.

never fancied one myself alltho I did ride one - and it was fun - so I could change my mind one day.. I sort of fancied the Tiger 800 myself..

havin said that I am sort of *thinkin about buying my self the MT09 - cos its a bit of a steal at 88K new.

( * I prolly will never ever get another bike than my knackered hornet - cos I am too tight! )

Nice trade.

Also, props for understanding your own mindset on what you can/should be riding, eh? Ive had to slow myself down some lately, as my other friends have been pulled over for doing some, well, frankly speaking, idiotic speeds. I would not look forward to an MTR/bus commute every day, again.

scrambler and Titus like this.