Like Tree14Likes

Buying/driving a 300/400cc scooter in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    simon gave me a quote of 5k on the blade 954 I nearly went for...
    I have one. It's fine for HK after a -1/+2 on the sprockets. +4 would probably be fine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HKboiii:
    Of course a proper motorcycle would be great and much more fun (I loved to ride my GSR 600 around German cities) but I think HK is a different animal. With the tight roads, I might not be able to lane-split as much. Also, a top box is totally unacceptable aesthetically lol
    a nekked or faired 600 is ideal for HK. I also share your hate for the top box. Scrambler, I'm glaring at YOU! :-)

hahha I cant see it when I'm riding tho so I dont care..

u guys dont look so hot either when u gotta lug your helmet jacket an gloves around ...

a top box isnt so practical on my other bike tho..

Titus likes this.

Facts....
    1st Hand Price

Taiwan
    SYM GTS300i ---278cc --- HKD43900.00

Japan
    Honda Forza 300 ---279cc --- HKD58800.00

Parking Costs
    Government Street Parking Space --- Free of Charge
    outdoor Carpark --- around 200-300
    indooor carpark --- around 400-500

Fuel
    ~16.5 / L

Government License Fee
    1314.00 per year

Insurance
    0% NCB(no claim bonus) ~1500.00 per year
    30% ~1000.00
    (10%NCB per year, max 30%)

Fine
    illegal parking 320.00

wtbhotia likes this.

Thanks clarence, that was very helpful. By 1st hand you mean new from dealer, right?

Are the prices for insurance that you quote for comprehensive cover? Can you recommend any good and cheap insurance company? If I ask the dealer to take care of it, will I pay too much? Have no claims history in HK, so will surely start with 0%

Indoor carparks in experience range from $280 (Wilson parking) - $1500 a month; It really depends on the area. I was paying $800 in the backside of Causeway Bay, for example.

My friend got comprehensive insurance on his used bike for ~$4000 for the year. Not sure what it would run on something new, but it should still be fairly cheap compared to the US.

If you get insurance through the shop, it's usually the same rate as getting it yourself. I don't think the shop will deal with more than the standard 3rd party type, though.

think its about 10 k a year? I called sabrina to ask once b4.

I think its good to use an agent - cos they give u a personalised service.. reminders etc. she also shop around for u..

also the shops all use one insurance agent - an their idea of customer service is a joke. they only accept cash when u renew / cant do anythin over the phone/ email - not even tell u they only accept cash so when u do show u there - u have to hike back down the lift an find a cash point in Mong Kok... which is about 3 miles thru a million zombies..

not sure I'd buy a new one - maybe get a 2nd hand one? scoot that is

Most will take checks, too.

I still can't believe Hong Kong deals with checks and cash over cards with all the cheap technology here. Walking through MK&SSP with 30k cash in my pocket to buy my first bike was extremely unsettling. I was sure it was going to fall out of a nonexistent hole in my pants before I got to the shop.....

Titus likes this.

have an existential hole in my pocket. I would be pattin my own arse every 2 mins walkin down the street

30 k (ish) is about the right amount for a bike I reckon... u get the right one - its still worth 30 after u owned it a few years... pretty sure my Hornet is still 'worth' the 20 k i paid for it... ( mind u i have sunk a bit in it on Ohlins shock - and CBR600RR front forks.. )

yeh - I was peturbed to say the least.. then I found Sabrina - an made dam sure every motorcyclist I ever met knows about her

I know nothing about Comprehensive Insurance, sorry. For insurance, try some small agents. They give you the best price.

For settlement. Why no Credit Card?? Visa/MasterCard charge approx. 1.8~2.5% / AE near 5% per trans., while cash or cheque, 0.00. See?? You can issue a cheque or deposit to their account.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    think its about 10 k a year? I called sabrina to ask once b4.
    I understand she's an agent you can recommend? Mind to share her details?