Like Tree14Likes

Buying/driving a 300/400cc scooter in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Buying/driving a 300/400cc scooter in HK

Hi guys

I will move to HK in a few days and - being an avid biker here in Europe - I cannot wait to get on two wheels over there. Been riding a 1000cc superbike and a 600cc naked here but, knowing large cities, I know these will be hopelessly overpowered and overweight (and my clutch hand will die a terrible, painful death) so I'll probably switch over to the scooter world.

Bit of a generic questions, but: what is it like to ride a scooter over there?

I was thinking 300-400cc maxi scooter. Anyone happens to ride an Aprilia SR Max 300, Honda Forza 300, or Kymco K-XCT 300? Don't feel like splashing out for a Yamaha.

How are the dealers over there? European standard? Do they speak decent English? Can you haggle? Do they take care of insurance and registration?

How is parking? Any on/off street parking available in popular dining/partying districts like LKF/TST? Do valets accept scooters over there (no joke)?

Sorry for the very unstructured question(s), I am just looking to get started and avoid some pitfalls.

Many thanks for all input!

depends what u want it for? if u gonna street park then a new one - *may* get a few scratches in parking bays

so yeah there's off street parking..

u can see here

http://www2.ibike.com.hk/map/index.asp

personally I got a 600 naked - dont have any problems in traffic... usually filter and get clear of traffic

Last edited by scrambler; 23-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    HKboiii and Titus like this.

I think logically a 300cc scooter would be good for Hong Kong, and ticks lots of boxes for practicality and all those other grown up things.

The speed limits here are also quite low, so a scoot can easily keep up.

Parking. Wilson parking have a multi storey in TST on middle street, it's 280 month or 20 HK a day. I don't know about LKF, but you can park near Hong Kong station in various unofficial places for free.

Otherwise..... Just buy something unsensible with your heart and smile every morning on the way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kjames:
    I think logically a 300cc scooter would be good for Hong Kong, and ticks lots of boxes for practicality and all those other grown up things.

The speed limits here are also quite low, so a scoot can easily keep up.

Parking. Wilson parking have a multi storey in TST on middle street, it's 280 month or 20 HK a day. I don't know about LKF, but you can park near Hong Kong station in various unofficial places for free.

Otherwise..... Just buy something unsensible with your heart and smile every morning on the way to work.
    Thanks mate, that's sensible and helpful advice.

I'll work in Central and hope to find a place in Soho/Noho/LKF, so my commute will be very short and won't offer a lot of opportunities to really use the power of something unsensible.

soho LKF is central - so u'll probably end up walkin to work...

HK is tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    soho LKF is central - so u'll probably end up walkin to work...

HK is tiny!
    I know, but I don't really want to use it for my commute to work! More for going out, going to the cinema, running errands, going to the beach, etc. The extra storage space of a scooter would come in handy for that, I think.

If it's not for commuting, buy a proper bike and a back pack.

get a scooter 200cc - 400cc cheap and cheerful and nothing to worry about when parking on the streets, if you buy from dealers then they can help arrange insurance and registration.

There are NO valets for motorbikes, well not that I know off Also regarding parking on streets, if you dont park in motorcycle parking area then you are Illegal parking and can be issued with a ticket (HK$320 fine), any where outside of parking zones regardless if there are no yellow lines or not you can be fined for illegal parking unless its a private road.

if your not a big heavy guy then try buying one of these and get used to the streets / traffic / parking, wont bust your wallet.

http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_...9401123&h_vw=y

Titus likes this.

There are actually free public parking spaces for bikes all over HK, even around LKF and other parts of central. That said, you park at your own risk. Locals will think nothing of slamming into your nice shiny new bike, or even picking it up and moving it out of the bay, or just scrape alongside it. If that kind of thing bothers you, then either get an older bike you're not too precious about, or avoid the free parking bays and put it in a car park.

I used to find alleys and throw a cover over my bike and take my chances. Its rare to get a ticket.

I think a scooter is a decent option for HK. But a real bike will give you a much higher smile factor. There are are some good roads only 30 mins or so from Central.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    get a scooter 200cc - 400cc cheap and cheerful and nothing to worry about when parking on the streets, if you buy from dealers then they can help arrange insurance and registration.
    or buy something a bit more fun! especially if u wont commute on it!

can always put a top box on it...

VTR 250 for about 20 K?

Hornet 250 for about 22 K

Hornet 600 for about 22- 30 K

CB 400 (if u must) range for 13k to 40 k

bugger how come all my suggestions are honda?
    wtbhotia likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast