Like Tree6Likes

Slightly odd queston - hoping for answer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slightly odd queston - hoping for answer

I came back to HKG recently after staying in US for a while.
    Hold HK Permanent ID Card,so am not a visitor
    I seem to have misplaced my HK driving licence, but do have my US Driving licence.

Am I allowed to drive here on the strength of the US Licence, will rental companies rent me the car?
    When I search/ask for driving here with US Licence, all answers I find is for visitors, not residents
    hence my question

Thanks in advance

Legally I believe not. But if you show the rental company your US passport (assuming you have one) and licence how would they know you're a PR?

And getting a replacement HK licence only takes a few days.

And we have the world's best public transport, so do you really need to make the pollution worse by driving?

Titus likes this.

bejuzlebubs!

public transport isnt perfect for everyone in HK!!!! or as quick... if I go public from my to house to central - takes atleast an hour.. on my bike its 20 mins and lots less stress

I suppose u did answer the question - I suppose since u already had a lience u jus go to TD afill out a form with ID card an get a replacemet

prob cheaper than the 1000 to get ya US license changed over..

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Legally I believe not. But if you show the rental company your US passport (assuming you have one) and licence how would they know you're a PR?

And we have the world's best public transport, so do you really need to make the pollution worse by driving?

Public transportation can be stressful and annoying. It sucks fighting the huge crowds especially if you are elderly or have kids.

i wont even contemplate takin my 3 month old twins on public transport yet - minibus? u have to be kiddin.. MTR? hmm a vague possibility at certain times of the day. Big bus?

none are safe for a toddler really?

at least in my car we have child seats which will absorb some of the impact should the worst happen.

actually leavin the house is hard enuff as it is.. at least with the car we got a bunch of reserve supplies at hand if we need em..

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:

Maybe not if the licence holder has been banned from driving!

Original Post Deleted
    not mention a stereo! I got all these round shiny things back in the 90's and they slip into a slot in the dashboard an music comes out - different according to what u slip in there... its actually really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    not mention a stereo! I got all these round shiny things back in the 90's and they slip into a slot in the dashboard an music comes out - different according to what u slip in there... its actually really nice.
    I am impressed that I have the song titles and albums display on main dashboard, next to speedometer and rev counter on mk7 golf, even better, 53 mpg on 122bhp 1.4, basically, up to 750km on full tank with stop start function. 650km without ( not much traffic jams in nt)

Off-topic by the 8th post. Impressive

Texas!!!

Sorry, had to get it in there before Ouwen turned up.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast