Like Tree5Likes

Motorbike licence steps

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yeah UK courses are plentiful and about the same cost as the HKSM one, but a fraction of the time.

Having done my part 1 in the UK, I'd have to say the instruction was far better too. The instructor will take you on a variety of roads, in real life conditions not like the little circuit they make you go round ad nauseum in Ap Lei Chau.

yeh HK drivin schools suck in terms of teachin u roadsense etc,,

I guess the flip side is that the test is easier to pass here - jus takes longer...

Titus likes this.

Check to see if HK transport dept has rules where NZ licenses are ok for a full "transfer" where they will just give you a HK license based on your NZ one? I had my car and bike license from Canada and in 2005 I just paid the 10 year license fee ($500?) and had a full motorcycle and car license done up without even a written test.
    If NZ is transferrable, then maybe take the motorcycle test back in NZ if it's easier over there LOL and then take some brush up skills course in HK. The exams here tests you on stupid basic technical skills without teaching any situation awareness and danger spots to look out for when on a motorcycle.

NZ is recognise here... but HK not in NZ... if I go to NZ I will be goin via UK - transfer HKlicense to UK which is recognised in NZ...

The road test is a doddle. However, the figure 8 test is hard. You have to ride your bike up an SHORT incline and do a figure 8 "uphill" so to speak (because HK is hilly) to pass the test. You need do the figure 8 three times.

its not hard if u practice tho..

great location about the right size is the top of razor hill road.. its a dead end an the size/ incline is perfect.

missus was there every night for 2 weeks b4 her test.. passed 1st time!

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    its not hard if u practice tho..

great location about the right size is the top of razor hill road.. its a dead end an the size/ incline is perfect.

missus was there every night for 2 weeks b4 her test.. passed 1st time!
    I managed 3 hours practice for the figure of 8 before I took the test due to a heavy pregnant wife so I blame her for my failure. the worst part is that the acutal test area for the figure of 8 in tin kwong road does not allow Learners so you cant even have a go on the actual test area FFS all because some govt officials live there and dont want bikes blocking the traffic (informed by the driving instructor).

Thanks for the tip for Razor hill, its nearby so might go there a few times.
    scrambler likes this.

silverstrand car park also not bad,, just try an do it inside 3 carparkin spaces

I swear its easier on your own bike. i bought the missus a TW200 - its got a hill climbing 1st gear so not stallin is a doddle an its turnin circle is amazin.

u can always get a refund on your expensive learner insurance the week after u pass

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    1. Must pass the 20 multiple question written test before getting a Learners permit. Have a go on a mock written test http://www.ktds.com.hk/QDTC/eng/mock.php
    2. Must pass mandatory training course which is done on a driving school site, before being allowed on the road
    3. Pass on road test (figure of 8 hardest) this is where I flopped on my test
    is that mock test for real?

I just tried it - some questions are so badly chinglish its hard to answer!!

actually there were many ! is that TD translation or a Kwunt school of motoring translation?

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    is that mock test for real?

I just tried it - some questions are so badly chinglish its hard to answer!!

actually there were many ! is that TD translation or a Kwunt school of motoring translation?
    Seriously? It all seemed understandable to me. If you struggle with that level of Chinglish then life must be pretty hard for you here!