Like Tree5Likes

Doing an oil change on your car

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doing an oil change on your car

Hi guys,

I want to try and do a bit of basic maintenance myself. (Seems crazy to pay someone else to do something I could easily do).

I plan to change the air filter, oil, oil filter and possibly spark plugs too.

Anyone have any recommendations for shops to buy the necessary oil and oil filter (I'm looking for Castrol or similar 10W/30) - and where should I dispose of the old oil responsibly?

Thanks for your help!

To recycle / dispose I'd contact these guys:

https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk

They have a location finder - https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk/en...s/vicinity.htm but I am not sure how they classify car oils.

Watercooler likes this.

i too was wondering about the disposal part of the process? hard to find on that website but will do some research as well...

Last edited by Dankleness; 28-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Yup, having a DIY oil change in HK is a lot harder for the simple fact you got to figure out where to get rid of the oil. Yeah you can contact those guys, but it is still a bit of a hassle compared to oil change back home. All this is a disincentive to creating a DIY culture in HK.

Thanks for the responses guys. If I was in the UK I would take the old oil to the local council refuse collection point and it would get recycled.

Re:car DIY, I know most managed buildings and car parks forbid any kind of car maintenance, and its definitely not part of the culture here, but in truth, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and having a go.

Dankleness likes this.

Any more info?

Has anyone gone about DIY'ing an engine oil change then?

I haven't actually found out if anyone has actually gone ahead with it and the result afterwards.

I would like to change mine regularly, even more so than the owner's manual says, but this adds up to mucho dinero to take to the garage each time.

My plan is to buy a ramp and an oil drain valve to make each change quick <10 minutes and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by hkr28:
    ...even more so than the owner's manual says
    I don't think there's a need for that.

Find a petrol station like Shell or Caltex that has the lube service as they are cheaper than mechanics for oil changes, DIY oil change you still need to get rid of the old oil and pay someone to dispose of it so there is no savings on doing it yourself. Dont dump it down the drain FFS as it will just end up in the SEA and its already fucking over polluted with all kinds of Rubbish

shri likes this.

I once did DIY oil change, getting rid of the old oil was no problem, the huge Scania garage next to Ikea in Sheung Shui had tanks for old oil. However, it's a messy job am glad to pay for.

chuckster007 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I don't think there's a need for that.
    You are right that there is no need for it, but i recently drove a car that was getting regular oil changes and it was incredibly smooth.

@Chuckster.

There is no way i woild dispose of it irresponsibly. I saw on another thread that it may be possible to dispose of it at the refuge / recycling centers, needed to investigate that further but sheung is an option, albeit a far away one.

The plan was to buy a Fumoto oil drain valve to make these changes much easier to do and be able to keep my car in top condition because although unnecessary, after am oil change the car runs much better.

Just want to make sure I do everything legally, inclusing the actual change on the streets because my rented carpark doesn't allowing it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast