• 2 Post By emx
  • 2 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By Natfixit

South Lantau Driving Permit

Closed Thread

South Lantau Driving Permit

Hi guys

I live in Tung Chung and want to drive to Pak Kung Au about once a week to hike up to Lantau peak.

I need a permit to get past that checkpoint that goes to South Lantau (Mui Wo).

I think I need to fill this up. http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/com...8(2012.11).pdf

They seem to need some reason for application and I am not sure if my reason to hike up Lantau Peak is something they will entertain!

Does anyone know if this permit is only for those who reside in South Lantau and not the ones who reside in Tung Chung?

Thanks

I am 99 % sure it's for South residents, only

Take bus 3M, it's just $ 5 or 6 sectionsl fare to that stop, although it's nowhere mentioned.

There is another path from big buddhs back to ShiMenJia village which just takes 20 minutes if you are fit.
    That is the area where the roundabout is and permit req. sets in

Last edited by Morrison; 13-07-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    carang, emx and scumbag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag:
    only for those who reside in South Lantau
    The permit is tied to having an electricity meter address in South Lantau.

Finding an actual place to park your car can be even harder than getting a permit approved!

See Notes for Attention #1 & 3 from the linked document above. (Page 4)
    Last edited by emx; 13-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    carang and scumbag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag:
    Hi guys

I live in Tung Chung and want to drive to Pak Kung Au about once a week to hike up to Lantau peak.

I need a permit to get past that checkpoint that goes to South Lantau (Mui Wo).

I think I need to fill this up. http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/com...8(2012.11).pdf

They seem to need some reason for application and I am not sure if my reason to hike up Lantau Peak is something they will entertain!

Does anyone know if this permit is only for those who reside in South Lantau and not the ones who reside in Tung Chung?

Thanks
    I live in Sui Lantau and the driving permit is only for residents with a residential address, meaning you live there as your main place of residence or own property there.

Getting to Pak Kung Au to hike, there is no parking there whatsoever, unless you drive over the hill to the other side into the special permit area and find a park, which is extremely limited in that small car park. You are best to park at Tung Chung Citygate car park and catch the no's 11, 23 or 3M to the top of Tung Chung Road and hike from there. It is much easier to get to and buses are frequent.

Yes, if you apply without having a permanent residence there, officials who process the special driving permits will laugh at you.
    HK_Katherine and scumbag like this.

Is it a $320 fine if you get caught without one?

btw, join the HIKING hiking meetup group, they know all the good paths and tricks on Lantau

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    btw, join the HIKING hiking meetup group, they know all the good paths and tricks on Lantau
    Don't need to go with Meetup to enjoy hiking easily on Lantau, especially if you're already in Tung Chung. These maps will have plenty of information.

I would also second (third?) taking the bus, as then you're more free about which route you want to take down and ultimately end. There are so many great options!
    scumbag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Akael:
    Is it a $320 fine if you get caught without one?
    Something like that, and I drive almost everyday on the roads. There are cops everywhere during summer. Anyway, the OP if they do not have a permanent residence on south Lantau, cannot obtain a permit. If he tries to get a friend who may live on south Lantau to provide a false address for him, then it's a possible jail term. For fraud.

Cheaper to just take the bus or taxi up to the top. I hike these areas and if you park somewhere, it's a hell of a long way to hike back to where you parked. The OP can buy a map of all the Lantau hiking trails from the PO, second hand bookshop in Mui Wo or from the hiking/ outdoor shop in Mui Wo, opp. The park n shop.
    scumbag likes this.