Like Tree3Likes

Resale value -- km vs. # of owners?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Resale value -- km vs. # of owners?

So I saw a used MPV today that fits some of my requirements, but noted that it's had 3 owners but only 40,000km. As I plan to only hold this car for a 2-3 years, I'm wondering how big of a deal having so many owners is vs. the overall mileage (km) on the car?

First rule of thumb of buying any vehicle in HK is never believe the mileage.

Double the amount of mileage at least.
    Check things like the steering wheel etc for wear.
    If it had done 40,000 km then it shouldn't be too worn etc, also seats etc

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Double the amount of mileage at least.
    Check things like the steering wheel etc for wear.
    If it had done 40,000 km then it shouldn't be too worn etc, also seats etc
    If the present owner cant provide any official supporting documents to verify the mileage of the car via comprehensive service records, then, it has been clocked, usually by a lot. 3 owners listed on the VRD = 4.

My 4wd in Australia has done 40,000ish holiday kms since 1994, it presents and drives like a new one.

Most HK used cars unless under 5 years old, feel quite tired and rarely get serviced by the main agent after the first 2000km mandatory service.

If the mpv has verifiable service (complete records ) with odometer reading listed on each invoice, then car should be faultless to drive.

Also checking steering wheel for wear in hk doesnt work because they will get obvious high mileage visual items recovered, retrimmed or tarted up.

Good luck and hope you dont get stooged

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Last edited by Skyhook; 02-10-2014 at 07:28 AM.

The car was a Japan grey-market import, which really gets me wondering about the odometer. An 8-year-old car doing 5,000kms a year just seems rather odd.

The dealer detailed the heck out of it. It's truly quite beautiful inside and there are no noticeable wear and tear kind of signs liked I'd expect from a heavily used car.

One other bit--the dealer said I could take it to a mechanic to get it checked out, but I'd have to pay a deposit and sign a contract before I did that. Sounds a bit like a bad sign, or is that just how it is done over here?

Walk away... No such thing has a too good to be true deal, when buying from a dealer. Buying from a banker who is being relocated - yes, dealer no, no and no.

kimwy66 and Enderman like this.

If the dealer is confident that their car is good they will be happy for you to have the car thoroughly inspected. No decent dealer would ask for a deposit pending the outcome of an inspection unless they plan on being a pain in the ass.

Like Shri said " walk away " and try and find a local delivery as they retain value better (usually) preferrably with a consistent service history.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

By the way is this a mitshubishi Grandis from Asia pat? Pm me for the scoop if it is.

Enderman likes this.

Looking at an '07 aston martin vantage, 2 registered keepers , 27k kms but from the threads above, I guess it's clocked. Very likely has been to China too (cross border). I guess the mileage should be at least double, although I don't see signs of high wear.
    Hkmi has inspected and seems ok, authorized dealer will also inspect soon. Anyone with any idea what this car should be worth on this basis?

Had the same issue with dealer insisting on a deposit before inspection but I didn't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by xbc:
    Looking at an '07 aston martin vantage, 2 registered keepers , 27k kms but from the threads above, I guess it's clocked. Very likely has been to China too (cross border). I guess the mileage should be at least double, although I don't see signs of high wear.
    Hkmi has inspected and seems ok, authorized dealer will also inspect soon. Anyone with any idea what this car should be worth on this basis?

Had the same issue with dealer insisting on a deposit before inspection but I didn't agree.
    Who is the dealer? And are they asking for $950k?
    If it's the one I think it is from mine and yours motors they've been trying to sell that for months.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast