Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dankleness
  • 1 Post By Proplus

I need help finding the radio in my car.

Closed Thread

I need help finding the radio in my car.

Ok, just hang with me and that title will make more sense.

I have a Nissan Elgrand which is a direct import from Japan. As such, the entertainment system is basically crap, with FM that doesn't cover the full spectrum and TV and GPS that doesn't work here in Hong Kong. The previous owner installed a Kenwood W6537U radio/cd/usb system that runs into the Elgrand's AUX port so I am able to get local radio. The W6537U has a detachable face...and well that's where the problem arises.

The face of the radio is in the front of my car, in a glove compartment-like area near the existing radio. However, the actual base unit that goes behind the face is....???? There is a ribbon wire coming out of the back of the face and disappearing into the car. I really haven't any idea where that cable leads and where the actual base unit is located. I suspect it's behind the interior panelling in the rear, but I'm not really sure.

I'd like to get access to this to see if I can put in a Bluetooth adapter or a USB cable from the base unit to the driver's area, but I'm not really interested in ripping up the interior panels on a hunt for the radio unit.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone who works with car entertainment systems?

the face should be on the front of the base ISO 7736 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this part doesnt make sense to me "The previous owner installed a Kenwood W6537U radio/cd/usb system that runs into the Elgrand's AUX port so I am able to get local radio."

you use a wiring harness usually to connect your after market stereo (the kenwood) into the rest of your cars "connections" which the stock radio used to connect to - power, speakers, etc...

maybe upload a photo for us?

imparanoic likes this.

I have dabble into car audio installation prior to iso standard cables (probably as I was a poor student and only newer stereo/cars used iso standard )

we can offer some form of help if you forward a photographs

also, if you want a cleaner looking system, get an after market elgrand compatible bracket and remove the oem stereo ( probably why your aftermarket stereo in tuck away in unusual place) and install your stereo in the oem positioning as you going to get professional installer anyway

World Beat-Sonic: Elgrand E51 2004-2007 2DIN Fascia

I also note that Kenwood W6537U radio/cd/usb system is a single din stereo, while your oem stereo is double din, that could be the reason why they installed in awkward and unusual place, there is probably no single din aftermarket bracket (probably the previous owner didn't want to folk out more for a double din stereo) for your imported elgrand.

Last edited by imparanoic; 22-10-2014 at 10:42 AM.

I'll try to get a picture this afternoon.

Basically to turn on the radio I select AUX on the OEM Nissan radio, and then flip on the Kenwood tuner. I crank the Kenwood volume "to 11" and then I start to fiddle with the Nissan volume which is more accessible.

Ok, so here is a pic of the entertainment unit, the face plate, and then the "wire" behind the faceplate that runs into parts unknown.

One other question--when it runs through all the onscreen displays, i.e. TUNER , CD, etc. there comes a point where it says "Bluetooth Unit Ready". Does that mean it has a bluetooth unit and it is ready to receive, or that the tuner is capable of supporting a bluetooth unit, should I buy one? FWIW I can't 'see' a Bluetooth signal when I look with my phone.

Name:  IMG_8774.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  636.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8776.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  670.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8778.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  389.8 KB

Last edited by penguinsix; 22-10-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Wow....thats one hell of a chop job. They've basically attacked an 'extension' cable(s) from the head unit to the face. If that is really the case, the head unit can be absolutely anywhere. Try looking inside any compartments, under seats, down the side of the doors, etc.

imparanoic likes this.

My only clue is that when I switch the faceplate from Tuner / CD / Standby, I head a 'click' noise back in the right rear seat area, behind the interior panel. I've read that's where the Nissan keeps the TV unit, in that panel, but it has an automatic curtain system and the last thing I want to do is go hunting for it and mess up something else.

Think I will likely have to take it in to a shop who has the right tools instead of me with a putty knife and a screwdriver.

it's a gonna take a lot of work to sort it out, maybe in the region above a HK$1000 in labour alone