Like Tree5Likes

Driving in HK with Foreign Issued International Drivers Permit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Driving in HK with Foreign Issued International Drivers Permit

Dual citizenship driver here. Have both an HKID and Canadian Passport. Is it ok to drive in HK with an IDP even though I do have an HKID card? The description of a visitor on the transportation department website is very vague: "visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months"

In a way I could say that I fit the description as I reside overseas and am only staying temporarily in HK; however on the other hand I do have an HKID card. This has caused me to be unsure of whether I fit the description of a visitor in the eyes of the transportation department.

Here is a side thought for when I land in Hong Kong, if I clear the immigration with my passport instead of using the echannel with my HKID, could I technically be classified as a visitor during my stay in HK, hence making it justifiable to use my IDP to drive even though am in possession of an HKID?

Appreciate some opinions on what I would call a grey area scenario.

Last edited by CX883; 04-11-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You have PR right, so how can you be a visitor'?

if u got PR and u obviously have a driving liense then u r entitled to change said license to HK license..

u can ask at TD when u do that if u can drive on the cardboard license for the week your HK license comes thru...

unless of course u have been banned from driving on your HK license already?

As long as you can prove you don't live here - ie not tax resident, don't maintain a house here and you are here for less than 12 months, you should be fine.

Simply having a HKID doesn't make you resident.

I am speaking as someone who was interviewed by a police inspector as per this regulation with driving without a HK licence back when I first came here, but wasn't charged. At the time I was on a resident visa but it was only for a year. It did seem they took a broad approach to actually charging people because it was confusing. The inspector commented I was the 3rd expat he had interviewed about it in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You have PR right, so how can you be a visitor'?
    Because they don't live here. How many expats get PR and then move? Would you class them as residents or visitors when they come back for a couple of weeks? When you go back to your country of origin are you a resident or a visitor?

also, if the rule was defined this way, it would be extremely onerous for those that have PR but haven't lived here for years. This would prevent them from driving here on a holiday unless they exchanged their licence, which takes 1 week to do. the key wording is 'resident' which is not the same as having PR.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 04-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    Claire ex-ax and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CX883:
    Dual citizenship driver here. Have both an HKID and Canadian Passport. Is it ok to drive in HK with an IDP even though I do have an HKID card? The description of a visitor on the transportation department website is very vague: "visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months"

In a way I could say that I fit the description as I reside overseas and am only staying temporarily in HK; however on the other hand I do have an HKID card. This has caused me to be unsure of whether I fit the description of a visitor in the eyes of the transportation department.

Here is a side thought for when I land in Hong Kong, if I clear the immigration with my passport instead of using the echannel with my HKID, could I technically be classified as a visitor during my stay in HK, hence making it justifiable to use my IDP to drive even though am in possession of an HKID?

Appreciate some opinions on what I would call a grey area scenario.
    the cost to apply for a hk driving license is only HK$700 (last time I recall when I changed mine in 2007) and last 10 years and you need your Canadian license, so is it really worth risking being arrested for not apply for a hk license? I note that the chances of getting caught depends where you drive as most roads have very little police presence, but they do occasionally make random checks and stops

I note that some permanent HKid owners (who don't live in HK )who do flout the law for a few weeks when they visit HK and have not got caught yet, but I also note that a UK license owner ( dodgy as hell as he got someone else in uk to take the practice test) drove in HK for about 6 months and got caught, he received a hefty fine, but he was no expat guy and looks dodgy in appearance
    Last edited by imparanoic; 04-11-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    the cost to apply for a hk driving license is only HK$700 (last time I recall when I changed mine in 2007) and last 10 years and you need your Canadian license, so is it really worth risking being arrested for not apply for a hk license? I note that the chances of getting caught depends where you drive as most roads have very little police presence, but they do occasionally make random checks and stops

I note that some permanent HKid owners (who don't live in HK )who do flout the law for a few weeks when they visit HK and have not got caught yet, but I also note that a UK license owner ( dodgy as hell as he got someone else in uk to take the practice test) drove in HK for about 6 months and got caught, he received a hefty fine, but he was no expat guy and looks dodgy in appearance
    It is $900 and has been for over 10 years.
    imparanoic likes this.

I think it's pretty simple. If you live here (reside) you need to get a HK license and if you don't, you don't.

The better question to ask is why are you renting a car at all? Rental costs are ginormous while taxis are cheap and plentiful!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The better question to ask is why are you renting a car at all? Rental costs are ginormous while taxis are cheap and plentiful!
    Cause the OP can afford it and wants to feel the freedom of driving around, stuck in traffic

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I think it's pretty simple. If you live here (reside) you need to get a HK license and if you don't, you don't.

maybe, he/she is using car share, thus, a bit more affordable than the limited car renting companies here.

Also the op maybe planning to drive parts of NT which not accessible without car or availability of taxis is much lower than Kowloon or HK island

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast