Like Tree6Likes

Is it worth it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it worth it?

My husband, 2yr old & I will be moving to South Lantau in the spring.

Husband will be working out of the airport & accessibility to bus route will be a major determining factor in the exact area we choose to live. I will be a SAHM & have no issue waiting on the bus, taxi, ferry, etc to get around. We are a pretty quiet family & will probably spend a good chunk of our time just exploring nature, the beaches, etc.

Bringing our enormous, left-side-drive minivan from the states is not an option, so we would have to buy there in HK.

Given this information would owning a car to get around be worth it, in your opinion, for a family like ours?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

sure if your really going to move to South Lantau, once you have an address then you can apply a special permit for the car as not everyone is allowed to drive over there.

You can get a crappy drive around vehicle, low maintaince car like mazda 323, toyota corolla for around $US 2000.

jimbo and hin23leung like this.

I live in the same area and having a car really helps, journeys to the shop and the beach without relying on public transport is a real plus. You can buy a cheap mini-van (they are usually called 7 seaters here) quite easily.

Hong Kong generally has excellent public transport. Unfortunately South Lantau falls into the rare category where the public transport is (imho) just "acceptable" rather than "excellent" although it would depend exactly where you ended up. Discovery Bay, for example, would be a great place for a SAHM and you cannot own a car there but the buses are fabulous and the direct Ferry to central extremely convenient. (There are also frequent buses to the airport).
    On the other hand, a village like Tong Fuk (which is a really nice place too) would be hard without a car. Mui Wo is probably acceptable without a car - due to the ferry - many residents there have bicycles (with seats for kids on them).

There are only 50 blue taxis for the whole of Lantau! They are notoriously difficult to find. There are no mini buses and the regular buses soon fill up, so standing for the whole journey with all your shopping isn't much fun. For those reasons I'd say having a car is a real advantage.

wtbhotia likes this.

For just over a US$1000, you can get a mini van, it will get you from point A-B, can fit your baby seat, stroller, lots of shopping, fits 8 people if you needed to.
    http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_...1317013&h_vw=y

I recently moved to Mui Wo and would definitely get a car if I was raising a family here, but since I'm not, a bicycle is just fine for getting around town.

Also as HK_Katherine said, loads of people get around on bicycles with kid seats in the back.

Thank you all so much for your help!

We may need to adjust our housing search a bit to accommodate easy transportation. Obviously Tung Chung would be ideal for my husband, & it's on the MTR... how would it be to get around from there? Or would we be better off in Mui Wo / DB with ferry access? I don't know if we can afford DB

Tung Chung would be fine without a car. They have all manner of buses and as you say, right next to the MTR. However Tung Chung is not quite as "liveable" as somewhere like Mui Wo (imho) - more concrete and less nature and a shopping mall packed to the rafters with Mainland Tourists every weekend. You really need to come and experience them both before making a decision. Tung Chung and Mui Wo are chalk and cheese in terms of ambiance!

We'll definitely be checking them out first-hand. What about DB? Is it as snooty / elitist as people make it out to be? It'd be right at the top of our price range, but we could swing it if it's the best fit...

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast