Like Tree12Likes

Car Windows - Curtains vs Tints

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car Windows - Curtains vs Tints

Why is it curtains are legal but (aftermarket) window tints are not?

Seems crazy to me...

You can drive around with almost zero visibility - like a huge number of vans and 7 seaters that have the windows covered with curtains but it's illegal to install tints. Does having curtains drawn invalidate your insurance?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Curtains are temporary, tints are not.

Quite a lot of the new alphards and elgrands have automatic curtains, push of a button and all of them open and close.

I have tinted windows but when I approach a road block I open all windows so that the PO PO can see inside and they let me pass, if you dont do this then they cant look inside and will usually pull you over and then take your details down and you will receive a letter to take your car to the Govt vehicle examination center which means you will need to replace all windows before going there so they can give you a pass report.

Ever year for my MOT i need to get my windows replaced and rent plain windows. Pain in the arse but its the rules.

Hi wtb,
    How much does it cost for a set of tints? I'm interested in tinting the rear windows and tailgate only.
    Does it invalidate insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Quite a lot of the new alphards and elgrands have automatic curtains, push of a button and all of them open and close.

I have tinted windows but when I approach a road block I open all windows so that the PO PO can see inside and they let me pass, if you dont do this then they cant look inside and will usually pull you over and then take your details down and you will receive a letter to take your car to the Govt vehicle examination center which means you will need to replace all windows before going there so they can give you a pass report.

Ever year for my MOT i need to get my windows replaced and rent plain windows. Pain in the arse but its the rules.
    Why don't you keep the plain windows then?

Or not good for the cross border trafficking activities
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Hi wtb,
    How much does it cost for a set of tints? I'm interested in tinting the rear windows and tailgate only.
    Does it invalidate insurance?
    What CAR you have, and it doesnt invalidate insurance.
    @Mat, plain windows aint COOL now is it Unfortunately I dont have cross border plates or i would be smuggling all kinds of SH!T daily LOL
    Mat likes this.

Mr$$$ try calling JapanAutoGlass and Promise Beauty Car Co. Ltd Both do Tinting, mine came already tinted so I'm not sure of costs. I only know it costs me $800 to rent plain windows (5 of them incl labour charge) for 3 days to pass my MOT

Thanks for the info.

we got a bunch of static sticking film in our subaru - cut it to size - the 1st one we did looked crap but the 2nd one ok - we pretty much blacked out the whole of the rear for our girls!

mind u can have such nice patterns with curtains - maybe a bit of lace doyle as well?

Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast