• 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By jimbo

Advise & Reliable / Honest mechanic needed

Closed Thread

Advise & Reliable / Honest mechanic needed

Hi Guys,

Need some advise!

I own an old BMW 318i year 2000.

Recently I've been noticing that there are some drops/spots of engine oil on my car space.

I've had the car for approx 6 months now and never had to take it to any mechanic for any issues as it runs just fine. However yesterday i took my car to a mechanic in Sui Sai Wan area and showed it to him - he then quoted me with a ridiculous price to change the following:

-Steering and suspension
    -Oil leaks
    -Engine mounts

Here's my question: How much would it normally cost to have something like this fixed? My MOT is going to expire in June so i was thinking should i wait until March/April and then send the car for 1 time fix up? I also need a very very very reliable / honest and extremely reasonable mechanic as i dont wish to spend much on the repairs & preferbably on HK island.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

what was the ridiculous price stated, then we can let you know if its correct or your being ripped off.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supersam:
    Hi Guys,

Need some advise!

I own an old BMW 318i year 2000.

Recently I've been noticing that there are some drops/spots of engine oil on my car space.

I've had the car for approx 6 months now and never had to take it to any mechanic for any issues as it runs just fine. However yesterday i took my car to a mechanic in Sui Sai Wan area and showed it to him - he then quoted me with a ridiculous price to change the following:

-Steering and suspension
    -Oil leaks
    -Engine mounts

Here's my question: How much would it normally cost to have something like this fixed? My MOT is going to expire in June so i was thinking should i wait until March/April and then send the car for 1 time fix up? I also need a very very very reliable / honest and extremely reasonable mechanic as i dont wish to spend much on the repairs & preferbably on HK island.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!
    I am guessing that the car is worth HK$40k, but the repairs will be at HK$20k?

The price quoted is: HK$8,500

The price quoted is: HK$8,500
    Ah most of that is going to be labour charge.

I have a friend who owns a garage in Sai Ying Pun - Water Street but his English is probably NON existent. you speak any local lingo or have a local friend that could speak for you???

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Ah most of that is going to be labour charge.

I have a friend who owns a garage in Sai Ying Pun - Water Street but his English is probably NON existent. you speak any local lingo or have a local friend that could speak for you???

Yes, you're right.. he did inform me that the handling charge is 5k and the rest are just parts. But from what i have inquired parts are not THAT expensive - and this is an old car.. not a ferrari & to cut a long story short i cannot afford any 1 very expensive.

P.S: i do have a friend who speaks fluent canto

P.S: i do have a friend who speaks fluent canto
    Ask your friend to call Po Wah Auto Pepairing Serv Co - Tel: 2546 2233 and look for Ah Mun
    https://goo.gl/maps/VggLD in the street view, Ah Mun is the guy standing there doing Sweet FA but his garage is usually very busy fixing Taxis / Mini Buses / Vans etc

Tell your friend to call up and ask when to bring a car down for MOT quotation, Ah Mun will quote you only things that need fixing to pass MOT
    Zero Gravitas likes this.

Supersam

Totally get what you mean.
    I have a 2000 model 323i back in UK.
    Needed quite a bit of work on it. $10000

It's an old car and they'll all have problems at that age. I'm getting rid of mine and will buy something newer

Skyhook likes this.