Like Tree24Likes

Petrol price

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I always wonder why gasoline(petrol) is so much more expensive in the HKSAR side of the border compared to mainland side. I thought Hong Kong is always known to be very anti taxation. Though for cars with dual Hong Kong/Canton plates they have the luxury of being able to fill up on the other side which is not too far away and drive back which puts Hong Kong fuel stations at a disadvantage as the border is so close by. Though gas(petrol) had skyrocketed on the mainland side since 2010. Back in 2008 Chinese gas(patrol) used to be cheaper than any station pump price found in the US. Now even with International oil prices at record lows Chinese gas(petrol) is still higher than all except expensive pump prices in US usually in Hawaii. I guess the rapidly increasing fuel consumption rate due to the explosive increase in car ownership the past few years and the deteriorating relationship between Beijing and China's major oil producer Xinjiang is to blame for the permanent spike oil costs in China and decreasing subsidies. Though prices still remain quite a bit lower than Hong Kong's prices.
    I do wonder how taxi drivers in both Hong Kong and mainland survive with such low rates on the meter if petrol prices are this high. Taxis in other countries including the US charge rates many many times higher yet often turn a negative earning. I guess taxi owners in mainland took a big lose in earnings when fuel prices nearly doubled in a years or two notice given the regulated meter rates did not go up nearly as much to compensate for the increased fuel costs.

Last edited by jcs609; 08-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcs609:
    I do wonder how taxi drivers in both Hong Kong and mainland survive with such low rates on the meter if petrol prices are this high. Taxis in other countries including the US charge rates many many times higher yet often turn a negative earning. I guess taxi owners in mainland took a big lose in earnings when fuel prices nearly doubled in a years or two notice given the regulated meter rates did not go up nearly as much to compensate for the increased fuel costs.
    Taxis in HK use LPG (liquidfied petroleum gas-which is simply propane/butane), and are not charged with the same rates as gas (or "petrol" if you like it that). Last time I checked, it was cheaper than regular gas, but that was some years ago, so I don't know about the rates now.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-02-2015 at 06:14 PM.

LPG is around 5.5 hk per litre. Dual plate cars technically must have 3/4 tank full when crossing into China but not every car gets checked

Elegiaque and Cho-man like this.

Yes, as far as I know the government adjusts LPG price according to a couple of factors and it's between 4 and 6hkd/l.

Fuel in China has always been heavily subsidied by Beijing who have been trying it lower those subsidies in the past few years. The quality of petrol/gas across the border though is pretty poor compared to HK which is one of the main reasons why ex-cross border cars are worth so little compared to cars only driven in HK only.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    There is, it's called tunnel toll Almost 200 bucks driving from Yuen Long to Central and back.
    Nope - that's the "keep the yokels out of Central" toll. We all know that the problem folks who have zero NEED for a car but have one anyway would never dream of leaving the sacred Island to the dark zones beyond (save the odd trip to the airport, for a flight to the Seychelles etc).
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    There is, it's called tunnel toll Almost 200 bucks driving from Yuen Long to Central and back.
    well, if you don't mind extra 10-15 miles extra distance and avoid the expensive private tunnels. the charges for tolls, can be as low as HK$66 (east tunnel $25 x 2, lions rock at $8 x2) from yuen long to hk island and back, that's only if your car is very economically fuel wise, that's a big saving

Transport Department - Toll Rates of Road Tunnels and Lantau Link

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    And it wouldn't make much difference to those that afford to drive anyway, it'll affect small businesses more as deliveries of goods (both selling and purchasing) will raise their prices to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Affordability is only really applicable to car owners in Kowloon and hk island, car parking in NT can be affordable to a certain degree, or some extreme cases free in remote villages, there are a lot of people in lower social-economic class who own a car in NT.

even in UK, car ownership isn't always cheap, insurance is the most costly factor, here, it's parking ( to most extent) or road tax which is the most costly aspect in HK

London car parking charges or city of London are pretty pricey nowadays, even Birmingham city centre, my former job in newhall street ( not even smack bang in the city centre) car parking was at 120 quid per month ten years ago, luckily my job subsided the car parking completely
    Last edited by imparanoic; 09-02-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Dual plate cars technically must have 3/4 tank full when crossing into China but not every car gets checked
    That's not correct. The petrol a private car is carrying in its tank when entering HK is exempted from customs duties.

Justify pump price increases, says Case to petrol companies here - Singapore Transport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times[ST_Newsletter_PM]-20150225-[Justify+pump+price+increases%2C+says+Case+to+petro l+companies+here]

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4