Like Tree50Likes

Time to replace my car, what car should I buy next?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

ah yeah

do you have kids? or are you planning? coupes /sports are probably out the window? unless it's Mitsubishi evolution

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    ah yeah

do you have kids? or are you planning? coupes /sports are probably out the window? unless it's Mitsubishi evolution
    Kids? Possible in the not-too-distant horizon, so maybe sedan. But I'm not looking for the boring dull-as-vanilla family sedans (i.e. Toyota Camry, Honda Accords, etc). I'm looking for something with a little...gusto when I feel like stepping on the gas.

for $300k, i'll buy a new or very Hyundai.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    for $300k, i'll buy a new or very Hyundai.
    How are Hyundai in general? Good reliable cars?

Good thing my wife is pitching in half the amount, so we could bring it up to HK$300,000, otherwise, don't know what kind of car I can get in HK for $150,000, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I loved my current Bimmer 3 series, had it for 8 years now, and it has given me countless hours of driving pleasure.

However, age is finally beginning to catch up with it. I bought it second-hand at the time, and while it was great, maintenance issues keep cropping up in the last year or two. Gas consumption is also climbing because the engine is getting older and simply not as efficient as before. Not to mention the hassle of bringing the car for annual check-ups before I can re-new the vehicle license.

So, much as I liked my 3 series, its time I bid it adieu. Which means I will look for a new one. I test drove the current F30 generation of 3 series, and I don't know why, but it just didn't seem to be as fun to drive as earlier generations of 3 series. Besides, its a bit too pricey for me to buy as a new car, so I'll probably rule out a 3 series as my next car, at least not as a first-hand car.

So, I'll probably look for a second-hand premium brand or a cheaper first-hand brand. I'm looking for a car that can provide driving pleasure (a degree of sportiness and good handling) as well being able to function as a regular commuter car.

I'm ruling out Alphards or Estimas, I don't want a van, but an actual car, sedan or coupe.

So, what is your recommendation?
    Hey, Ur back! I read that u got banned (again?).

Anyhow, I used to drive hybrid (Prius) and looking at the traffic in HK. I would recommend a hybrid car to anyone.
    I liked the auris better then the ct200 during test drive. But prius offered more space. The Honda hybrid did not do it for me or my mrs.
    Never tried any PHEV tho
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    Hey, Ur back! I read that u got banned (again?).

Anyhow, I used to drive hybrid (Prius) and looking at the traffic in HK. I would recommend a hybrid car to anyone.
    I liked the auris better then the ct200 during test drive. But prius offered more space. The Honda hybrid did not do it for me or my mrs.
    Never tried any PHEV tho
    Thanks for your suggestion, but not sure about the prius though, I'm told those hybrids aren't very exciting to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Kids? Possible in the not-too-distant horizon, so maybe sedan. But I'm not looking for the boring dull-as-vanilla family sedans (i.e. Toyota Camry, Honda Accords, etc). I'm looking for something with a little...gusto when I feel like stepping on the gas.
    Then for sure the Toyota auris hybrid!
    Cho-man likes this.

In a word... 2015 Mazda 6 twin turbo diesel.

The motor is sooooooooooo good, so much torque, so little effort and it has very strong willing power delivery minus being busy or stressed out like a lot of small capacity buzzy petrol engines. Also you get all that while achieving 5.4 litres per 100km fuel consumption ( under normal driving conditions ).

It has a sport focused driving feel, so it should appeal to you re turn in sharpness, handling etc and enough very torquey power to be pleasant.

From memory they have 3 models available in HK, starting at $300K to $370K for the fully loaded model with the excellent bose infotainment system.

I quite like it for a variety of reasons, especially because it is ' not ' a BMW lol

Take one for a test drive Cho Bro, I reckon you'll quite enjoy the driving experience and it's pretty good value for money I feel.

Be warned though, Mazda HK is full of infantile sales droids so just filter your hearing when you visit the showroom, they can be a bit irritating as only HK retail staff know how..

PS:

I should point out that I dont own a Mazda product, so I am not being a fanboi or biased.

As much as I like VW's, I own a 2.0tdi DSG Jetta in Australia, I am sorry, but the Mazda is what I will replace the Vee Dub when its up for renewal in another year ( 5 years old by then ) The Mazda is the much better car considering they are similar in price ( in Aust ) when fully optioned. Also, I never much liked the suspension in the VW, it has very little suspension travel, prone to bottoming out and in my professional opinion is too soft. It's fine around town if your roads are billiard table smooth and well maintained, which isnt the case in HK.

Last edited by Skyhook; 06-03-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    Cho-man and East_coast like this.

Golf Mk 7 GT tsi (140bhp), 0-100km in 8.5sec, 7 speed dsg, 1.4 litre, fuel economy better than 1.2 yaris.

or the sporty types

used golf mk7 ( make sure it's the mk7, mk6 has issues with dsg, according to the forum, it's resolved in mk7) gti, 220bhp 2.0 tsi for HK$300,000, 0-100km, 6.4 seconds!

http://www.vw.com.hk/en/models/golf-...e34a4d08cafc38

Volkswagen Golf Mk7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

note it won the car of the year japan and engine of the year as well

Last edited by imparanoic; 06-03-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast