Like Tree50Likes

Time to replace my car, what car should I buy next?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

You can get two of these for under 300K, one for you and one for her

Cho-man, wtbhotia and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You can get two of these for under 300K, one for you and one for her
    Aw, if u do...1 in baby pink the other in baby blue.

CUTE!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    We have a Hyundai Tucson ... excellent car for the price. Even after we went overboard and got the sun roof and few extras as part of a year end / overstock promotion they were running.
    do you have the 7 seater?

I'd suggest a 2nd hand Audi A5 Sportback (2.0T Quattro). Plenty of power yet reasonably practical and in a nice coupe style body shape. Also, If you like and are used to german brands then it might be a tough switch moving to an asian brand. I know for myself, the interior quality, ergonomics and logical layout of german cars are (in my eyes) far superior.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    How are Hyundai in general? Good reliable cars?
    They are VERY reliable. I think they give a 5 year warranty.

However, they request inspection every 5000Km - how stupid is that? A normal inspection interval is 20,000Km

Same for Kia. I think the Soul looks funny, but at 8.2L/100Km they engine must be from the 80's
    Cho-man likes this.

A few weeks ago I had 2 rentals, a Jazz (terrible) and Mazda 3. The Madza 3 is a nice compact car, I might consider that if my current ever breaks down, and at near 180,000Km that might happen.

Cho-man likes this.

Back to topic, what car do you recommend I should get? Whatever car I get, I should make it count, since I don't spend this kind of money often, so I better get the right car, because I am going to be stuck with it for at least the next few years.
    A5 Sportback 2.0T if you need 5 seats and reasonable practicality.
    TT if space is not a priority.
    Cho-man likes this.

what car do you recommend I should get?
    http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_...5433291&h_vw=y

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - much prettier than a Golf or Audi, less reliable the a Hyundai

Last edited by East_coast; 06-03-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_...5433291&h_vw=y

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - much prettier than a Golf, less reliable the a Hyundai

Yup, Alfa certainly stands out from the plain looking (but not ugly) Golf. Fiat (and by extension, the Italian designers in general) are well known for their cutting edge aesthetics, and if on that consideration alone, it would have been my first choice.

Sadly, the Italians never seem to master the other crucial element when it comes to cars, reliability. From the ultra-expensive Ferrari down to the humble main Fiat brand, the Italians have always fallen down on reliability. They have improved somewhat in the last few years, but are still behind the Germans and far behind the Japanese in this area. Not such an issue when it comes to Ferrari, where reliability is less of a concern than sheer performance and looks. But for more regular mass selling cars like Alfa, that is a major concern. That is why I am hesitant to consider an Alfa, even if in terms of looks and driveability, they are quite good.

A shame really, if only they could fix their reliability issues once and for all, then their looks and performance will carry the day. But alas, that is not to be.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 06-03-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    imparanoic and jmbf like this.

Yup, Alfa certainly stands out from the plain looking (but certainly not ugly) Golf. Fiat (and by extension, the Italian designers in general) are well known for their cutting edge aesthetics, and if on that consideration alone, it would have been my first choice.

Sadly, the Italians never seem to master the other crucial element when it comes to cars, reliability. From the ultra-expensive Ferrari down to humble main Fiat brand, the Italians have always fallen down on reliability. They had improved somewhat in the last few years, but are still behind the Germans and far behind the Japanese in this area. Not such an issue when it comes to Ferrari, where reliability is less of a concern than sheer performance and looks. But for more regular mass selling cars like Alfa, that is a major concern. That is why I am hesitant to consider an Alfa, even if in terms of looks and driveability, they are quite good.

A shame really, if only they could fix their reliability issues once and for all, then their looks and performance will carry the day. But alas, that is not to be.
    But everyone should own an Italian car at least once...

Letting your heart rule your head for emotional purchases...
    Cho-man likes this.