Like Tree16Likes

How much is this car worth?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

also note the performance ( claimed by drivers) for the 2.4 camry

TOYOTA CAMRY 3.5 V6 model vs 2.4 model - 昔日話題 - CAR AND DRIVER 討論區 人車誌|汽車雜誌|新車及二手車網 - Powered by Discuz!

and the golf 1.4 tsi

Road Test - Volkswagen Golf Sport 1.4 TSI DSG (A)

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Definitely the Golf with a 1.4 Engine will be significantly more fuel efficient than the Camry. The Golf is a smaller, lighter car with a smaller and more modern engine.
    The DSG is also the big difference, fuel efficiency while being pretty not bad performance, but it's complex, early generation has issues ( mk7, according to forums, resolved), requires twice a year inspection at vw
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    The DSG is also the big difference, fuel efficiency while being pretty not bad performance, but it's complex, early generation has issues ( mk7, according to forums, resolved), requires twice a year inspection at vw
    I heard there were recurring issues with DSG gearbox, have that been fixed for the Golf?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 10-03-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I heard there were recurring issues with DSG gearbox, have that been fixed for the Golf?
    dsg older generation, more specifically the component dq100 has a lot of issues, I researched extensively prior to buying the golf 7 via various forums and magazines, no one seems to have issues with current generation of dsg
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    dsg older generation, more specifically the component dq100 has a lot of issues, I researched extensively prior to buying the golf 7 via various forums and magazines, no one seems to have issues with current generation of dsg
    That's good to hear. In that case I am going to check out a second-hand golf mk7. GTI probably still too expensive for me, but if a cheaper second-hand one is around, that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    That's good to hear. In that case I am going to check out a second-hand golf mk7. GTI probably still too expensive for me, but if a cheaper second-hand one is around, that would be interesting.
    there is an extra bonus, road tax is only HK$4000 per year due to the low displacement

maybe a golf 7 1.4 tsi (140bhp) GT is your cuppa tea?

please note that vw has 5 years warranty for engines, thus, service history by vw is a must

on the safe side, go to vw used car site,

Volkswagen Hongkong
    Last edited by imparanoic; 10-03-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Which year of Golf can I buy without worrying about the legacy DSG issues?

I generally don't go back to the manufacturer for servicing - if you drive your car sensibly, I think it is not necessary to go back to expensive regular servicing. I am not sure it is worth ultimately in terms of getting a better resale value, or reducing the maintenance expenses. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:

I generally don't go back to the manufacturer for servicing - if you drive your car sensibly, I think it is not necessary to go back to expensive regular servicing. I am not sure it is worth ultimately in terms of getting a better resale value, or reducing the maintenance expenses. What do you think?
    The Mark 7, available from 2013.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:

5 year engine warranty is only applicable with vw servicing

Well, cars made from 2013 onwards are too expensive for my budget.