Like Tree19Likes

which car to buy..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

which car to buy..

Hi All

I have decided to buya car as I have realized that its worth it with small kids
    OK so I live in tung chung and need a 7 seater (have 3 kids)
    My budget is not a lot so I am thinking about which options would fit in here

I really like SUVs if possible

Budget: ideally 50k (can be increased upto 80k if car is good)
    models I can think of: hyundai santa fe, mitsibushi outlander, volvo xc90

I am thinking about 2006-2007 models of these cars, offcourse newer the better

Please help me make a decision or if you think of some other models please let me know

1. xc90 seems to be popular with expats, is there something I need to be aware of? I know its a big car and might do only 8km/l for petrol etc. are there any other factors i should consider? I like it

2. sant fe, cant see it on road that often. any opinion son this and mistibushi outlander?

3. any other car options?

Many thanks!

Hi All

please can you help on this!

thanks

will you drive weekends only or daily? do you mind heavy petrol cost? ie, HK$2500 - 3500 per month for the petrol cost of a SUV?

personally, if you can stretch your budget to HK$100-110k, I would personally try and get a 2008 Toyota wish or 2007-2006 Honda stream (presumably the prices are close to this)

in the long run, the saving in lower petrol cost would outweigh the higher cost of the car.

Last edited by imparanoic; 10-03-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    hin23leung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    will you drive weekends only or daily? do you mind heavy petrol cost? ie, HK$2500 per month?
    Definitely not daily for me (gas price will be too costly that way), although not necessarily strictly weekend either. It depends on the situation for me.
    imparanoic and hin23leung like this.

personally, if I am living in hk in the long term I would try spend in the region of HK$160-180 for a 2011-12 vw touran 1.4 tsi (160bhp), it's much cheaper to run in the long term and the road tax alone is only HK$4000 per year, even with daily drive, the fuel cost per month is most likely HK$800 for same period and distance as mentioned above cars

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    personally, if I am living in hk in the long term I would try spend in the region of HK$160-180 for a 2011-12 vw touran 1.4 tsi (160bhp), it's much cheaper to run in the long term and the road tax alone is only HK$4000 per year, even with daily drive, the fuel cost per month is most likely HK$800 for same period and distance as mentioned above cars
    No, no and no. VW are one of the most expensive cars to maintain in HK. The 1.4TSi looks good on paper but unless you are driving dead flat roads with a light right foot you will get through the juice very quickly. The Touran is better with a larger engine, easier to drive and better on the fuel as you aren't having to thrash it everywhere. I've never been a fan of the TSi engine with DSG box either. Hunts around like a cat stalking birds.
    TheBrit and Titus like this.

Hi Guys

thanks for the opinions
    no i am not going to drive on weekdays, only weekends but I live in tung chung so a trip anywwhere can be 70-80kms (two ways) so I am looking at dirving around 500-600km per month

so xc90 is going to be quite expensive with petrol? (the 2.5 one too?) I like it and it seems to be popular here too

i know mpvs would be cost effectives but i really like the look and feel of an SUV...

Any comments on petrol performance of santa fe or mistibushi outlander? or any other SUV in my bidsget (~80k or less)

thanks !

Compare cars... - autoevolution

according to this site, Honda stream is more than twice as cheap to run than the xc90, fuel wise (extra savings on the lower engine size), also better marginally performance.

Compare cars... - autoevolution

according to this site, VW is almost 3 times as cheap to run than xc90, fuel wise (even more extra savings on the lower engine size), also much better performance.

Personally, I go for 2nd hand Toyota Noah. I guess it's ~30k. Take a look.

imparanoic likes this.

it looks a bit idsproportionate and a VAN

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast