Like Tree1Likes

Driving in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Failing to signal your intentions or check traffic conditions before manoeuvring constitutes dangerous driving, and as such is an offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    It's corrupt behaviour by any reasonable definition. If you don't like the definition, write a letter.
    I disagree. It's not corrupt behaviour by my definition and I believe my definition to be reasonable.

If it is corrupt behaviour then you should report the next constable who fails to arrest you for jaywalking to the ICAC.

When they have stopped laughing at you, let us know how the case goes.

For what it's worth, the ICAC states that "Corruption occurs when an individual abuses his authority for personal gain at the expense of other people."

That seems like a reasonable definition to me.
    Last edited by PDLM; 29-09-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talllatte:
    Saw a guy yesterday miss his exit on the expressway. Did he just forget about it and find another route? Of course not, he stopped dead with cars and trucks swerving to avoid him and proceeded to reverse back up the road and go down the slip road.

Oh but he had his hazzards on so that was ok then.
    I see that a lot in China, even our co driver up there has done that a few times. Saw a few times drivers in the middle of the freeway stop and look at the signboard before either continuing on to the next exit or change lanes and get out that exit. The drivers in Shenzhen are really much more crazier than HK, People should be grateful that the borders arent open or this place will become really bad.

yeah, in china, there is absolutely no rules, you can use the fast lane whilst driving slowly, driving on the lines, change lane without indicating,etc... i would be surprised if someone driving backwards in reverse gear on the mainland motorways, apparently, according to some sources, in the phillipines and in india, its even worse

I've lived (and driven) in Malaysia, and there is no doubt that the driving there is 100% worse than here. But that's not really the point - HK 'should' be more civilised than a developing country (be it China, India, Philippines or Malaysia!)

I tend to agree with PDLM - failing to enforce the law due to laziness is not corruption, it's just laziness. One wonders why. In some countries, coppers have incentives to catch drivers (the cynical say that it's a revenue raising exercise!) and there is no doubt they are more diligent about enforcing traffic laws. Which is right - dangerous driving is exactly that, dangerous, and should be enforced.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    according to some sources, in the phillipines and in india, its even worse
    Yeah the driving sense in India is terrible, but, then the number of accidents are less, what with terrible roads and bad driving sense, one can't speed up enough to bump any one off..LOL!

Where can you drive up to in Lantau island WITHOUT a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Where can you drive up to in Lantau island WITHOUT a permit?
    Tung Chung, the airport, Disney, Sunny Bay. When I first came to HK I drove to Tai O and nobody bothered me - wthout a permit! I even asked one of those guards in the booths for directions, no problems.

Ah yes - i can see that in google streetview now. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Ah yes - i can see that in google streetview now. Thanks
    Just to add that I'm not advocating driving to Tai O. Some people have told me I was lucky not to be fined!!!