Like Tree27Likes

Car milage manipulation

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Original Post Deleted
    You only need it for vehicles that are 6+ years old.

THEY DO RECORD MILEAGE on the yearly inspection on vehicles that are over 6 years old

Cars that are within the 6 year age range, most have been clocked once, from what I have seen with mates cars and the mechanical failures that JUST DONT happen at the low mileage that was shown on the clock. ie major engine/trans/power steering leaks, CV joint failures, water pump failures, ABS pump failures, alternator and timing belt failures etc etc etc etc. Lots of people get caught out and LOSE heaps of dosh, when they end up spending more than the car was worth in unexpected repair costs. Sold mutton, dressed as lamb....

I agree that the transport department should record mileage, during each transfer of ownership & also when MOT inspections are required, listed on the back of the VRD, then you could better gauge a useful, visual history.

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-04-2015 at 03:12 PM.

They list the mileage on the certificate of road worthiness, when it is issued in paper form at the inspection center, of course when you use that certificate when you renew your vehicle license the TD retain the certificate, but dont list the mileage anywhere else.

You raise a very valid point, if the mileage is recorded on the shared computer data base that the inspection centre and the transport department both use. I have a feeling they do, but will try and find out and actually have a look at the screen the next time I do one.

If they do keep a record of mileage, then the TD could check for mileage anomalies and enforce that the previous mileage be returned to the odometer or they wont pass their MOT. or something to that effect. The same could be done between ownership transfers if it was discovered that the car showed less mileage the next time it was sold, locking the system like an outstanding fine does.

So yeah, should be pretty easy to do in practical terms, you just have to get around the lazy govt person who has to type up the bible thick volume of a report to justify the change, which is why fuck all is done to change things here in the big birdcage. most of the time

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-04-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    How and why are they able to do this in 2015?

In the olden days, things were mechanical and easy but these days, everything is computerized and can easily be encrypted. Why is this still available to the crooks?
    It's so that the manufacturer can reset the odometer after they test drove your car at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    It's so that the manufacturer can reset the odometer after they test drove your car at the factory.
    Factory test, residual / movement mileage is ALWAYS to be expected on any new car you buy, unless that is something they remove here in HK/China for some petty local reason.

Original Post Deleted
    Today I had my MOT done at DCH, and as I remember they do record the odo reading during the first part of the inspection procedure, which they fill in on their jobsheet/checklist. Today I asked for a copy of the details after they had been entered into the computer ( which is where I was sure I had seen the mileage recorded before ) and got a print out, which I have provided below.

So mileage is definitely recorded, TDO already have it on their database before you submit your certificate of roadworthness to renew your vehicle license. So it isnt listed on the certificate as such, but it is on the computer print out if you ask for a copy, which I did today.

Soz for the confusion, but I think I have clarified it well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    So mileage is definitely recorded, TDO already have it on their database before you submit your certificate of roadworthness to renew your vehicle license. So it isnt listed on the certificate as such, but it is on the computer print out if you ask for a copy, which I did today.
    Critical point is, can you get it for a car you plan to buy? And if so, just for the latest or all previous MOTs?

Could be easily overcome when purchasing a second hand car, by asking the previous owner to consent to the inquiry prior to purchase. If he doesn't consent to the dealer confirming the mileage than you know something is off.

//Edit: I don't think the release of the car mileage has any privacy implications anyway. They wouldn't be submitting any personal information and in any case, vehicle ownership history (name, id nr) are public record.

//Edit Edit: The Transport Department lists "Vehicle Examination - Records" as files available under Access to Information Requests

So one could just write the TD and ask for the record of your car, they will then supply the record properly redacted to comply with privacy laws. Worth a try I'd say.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 05-04-2015 at 03:22 PM.

The fact is the TDO has the info, but it wouldnt surprise me if the govt holds back a bit like the Food & Hygiene department etc it doesn't actively go about checking restaurant kitchens so much, because they know if they made a concerted effort, they'd probably shut down most of these businesses down lol.

I cant help feeling, that is why they lay off the car trade here, because they'd likely catch the main distributors getting caught up in the shitstorm, if the govt focused its attention on unprofessional/unethical biz practices. Most of the ' popular' used car dealers that aim at expats would be shut down and jailed if the govt even applied 25% effort in stamping out odometer tampering and selling trade ins on that should have been scrapped, that shouldnt have been onsold ( prettied up ) to an unsuspecting used car buying public.

Also, if the public do nothing, then thats what happens to these arseholes, nothing... If you know that the car you traded in ends up on the lot with less mileage than you traded it in with, then get on the phone to the authorities and get them dealt with by the full weight of the law.

If the public were more switched on here, the car trade would have to clean its act up, exponentially as consumers cease to tolerate this shit.

Last edited by Skyhook; 05-04-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    emx, 100LL, jaykay and 3 others like this.

I was just cleaning up some paperwork.

Last inspection for my 2006 Audi A4 I did at Zung Fu Company Limited, cost HK$ 530. They handed me a full page report with mileage (and the Road Worthiness Certificate of course). Zung Fu is the official Mercedes dealership if I am not wrong, and I did it in Kwai Chung since it's close to our office. I note that our usual car repair shop didn't want to take it to Zung Fu, because he said they are famous for not letting cars pass. I guess that means they are not playing the usual games, but I could be wrong. I did it myself and all was good.

The inspection the year before that was done at Crown Motors (Toyota). I don't have a detailed test report, I don't have the mileage on any of the papers. Price was HK$ 530 + HK$ 58 for the certificate.

I am glad I ended up at Zung Fu. They were the only ones with appointments available within a few months, so I guess their reputation keeps the masses away

I bought it at 45,500 km in May 2012. Last inspection I had slightly more than 64,300 km, so my monthly usage is pretty much in line with the original owner. Also, he had the original 2006 tires still on in May 2012, another thing that reassures me the mileage might actually have been correct.

Last edited by 100LL; 07-04-2015 at 02:39 PM.