Like Tree3Likes

Car help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rs2000:
    yes I am not going to pursue it then

but I am thinking, if I the price is ~40k$, shall I care if its clocked or not? for example, if you have 2 cars , 1 showing 100k kms and other 40k KM, which one of the 2 will you chose? Also shall I expect a car which is 8years old to have all service records? what do you guys say?
    I would say you should absolutely care about a car's history. Especially at 40K, if you buy a dud then you could easily end up spending a lot of money to keep it running.

Keep searching until you find a clean(ish) example with a service history. If nothing else, even if a car has high mileage but a good service history you will know that it has been looked after and will be less likely to give you trouble (no guarantee with older cars of course).

As I mentioned before, best to find a friend who speaks Cantonese to help you out.

U should also consider hk Asia expat classified, less dodgy dealers pretending to be owners, could find a very good bargain, considering some expat leave when contract finishes, most likely more trustworthy as well

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    U should also consider hk Asia expat classified, less dodgy dealers pretending to be owners, could find a very good bargain, considering some expat leave when contract finishes, most likely more trustworthy as well
    Agree in most part, but you also get presented a lot of over priced shit, too.

Example.

hmm, a couple of years ago a mate of mine was looking around for a sensible multi seat family car, he'd narrowed it down to an early first generation Mazda 8 people mover.

Mate asks me if I can take a look at an expat owned example that was advertised on the 'other' expat site, as he knew absolutely nothing about mechanical things especially where wear and tear applied.
    We tee up a time to rendezvous with the expat wife who owned the vehicle at the tennis club car park in Hong Lok Yuen. Car was advertised for $65,000hkd, which on face value seemed like a pretty good deal until you delved deeper, the reality ended up being a different story.

List below of what I found during the 45 minutes that we spent with said vehicle.

1/. It was a Japanese domestic market version, ( parallel import ) as they dont have leather interior like the HK authorised model. STRIKE 1

2/. It had parking mishap damage down the passenger side rear door, which had upset the auto closing side door mechanism, which was working intermittently and is one of those things that could be either really easy and cheap to fix or its going to cost an arm and a leg. STRIKE 2

3/. Both front brake disk rotors were warped, which would have needed replacement at $4500hkd. STRIKE 3

4/. knocking noise from front and rear suspension, lower control arms and one of the CV joints was cracking on full lock around round a bouts ( during test drive ) front shock absorbers were leaking as they were nackered. STRIKE 4

5/. There was some problem with the keyless entry card, I cant remember now what it was exactly, I vaguely recall that they'd lost them both and were using the mechanical key to open and start the car. Strike STRIKE 5

6/. Front and rear bumper damage from careless parking scrapes etc which was more money to spend to get it looking tidy.

Basically, to get the vehicle up to par, would have cost around $30,000 - $40,000hkd which just wasn't worth the mucking around. He could have just gone out and bought a good HK new example 2008 model for around $110,000 and skipped all the hassle of getting it fixed, not to mention the stronger resale value on a proper HK vehicle. So subsequently, my mate didnt buy that one. He ended up getting a tidy ( well maintained ) XC90 Volvo cheap through a departing expat colleague via his work, which still runs well to this day. His only gripe is the cost of replacement tyres and very thirsty fuel consumption lol.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 28-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Dankleness likes this.

Thanks for the input guys

so far experience with 28 cars has been quite bad. Most of them say " my family/bri-in-law has a different car". blah blah. which I think is just a way to pretend to be an owner (in reality they're dealers I think). is there a reliable way to check if the person I am dealing with is a dealer ?

mileage issue and almost always don't have the service history. Infact some of them get offended when I ask for one

btw I also came across Nissan presage, by the looks of it, it looks good to me. and then there is Nissan presage highway star. whats the difference between the two? I was thinking I should expand my choices so now might consider presage (in addition to mazda 8)

thanks!

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs2000:
    Thanks for the input guys

so far experience with 28 cars has been quite bad. Most of them say " my family/bri-in-law has a different car". blah blah. which I think is just a way to pretend to be an owner (in reality they're dealers I think). is there a reliable way to check if the person I am dealing with is a dealer ?

mileage issue and almost always don't have the service history. Infact some of them get offended when I ask for one

btw I also came across Nissan presage, by the looks of it, it looks good to me. and then there is Nissan presage highway star. whats the difference between the two? I was thinking I should expand my choices so now might consider presage (in addition to mazda 8)

thanks!
    there are a lot of dealers but there are a lot of real owners.

best way to see, note if there is a quite few messages enquiring, but no sales, especially if unsold after few months

they have a contact number, mobile usually, google it with HK and 車 ( car), note that all black listed dealers on hk local forums will specify the [email protected]@kers who are crooks, but it noted that most of dealers will use mobile numbers

most of the dealers can be found this way as they freely pass on their 'potential sales' mobile to all customers

thanks, I will check the telephone numbers

btw any opinions on Nissan presage, it looks like a good second option after mazda 8
    what do you say

thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2