Like Tree31Likes

Cheap and reliable car for daily use

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Wink Cheap and reliable car for daily use

I have been checking 28car.com and considering some cheap car options ($10k or less). I know I should not expecting anything at all for the price but at least a decent and safe transportation mode from a village house to nearest school/plaza/market
    I expect the car could last for at least 2 years without major issue.
    here are my options:
    Mazda 323, year 2000-2001 (1500cc)
    Nissan Sunny, year 2000-2001 (1500cc)
    Mazda Premacy, year 2000-2001 (1800cc)
    Nissan Praire, year 2000-2001 (2000cc)

Any thoughts/recommendations are very welcome.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    I have been checking 28car.com and considering some cheap car options ($10k or less). I know I should not expecting anything at all for the price but at least a decent and safe transportation mode from a village house to nearest school/plaza/market
    I expect the car could last for at least 2 years without major issue.
    here are my options:
    Mazda 323, year 2000-2001 (1500cc)
    Nissan Sunny, year 2000-2001 (1500cc)
    Mazda Premacy, year 2000-2001 (1800cc)
    Nissan Praire, year 2000-2001 (2000cc)

Any thoughts/recommendations are very welcome.
    Cheers
    are you in a rush? if not, ( I work in expat relocation insurance industry), look at the hk expat classified for cars, some expats need to leave in summer as their visa expires and relocate to another country, you could find ( may take a while) a decent bargain which is more trustworthy than the cheapo car in car28

worry thing, the oldest cars on car28 more likely won't last the summer let alone 2 years
    shri and Andy SNK like this.

there is a mazda 3 2001 for HK$18000, on that classified , apparently has records of regular servicing ( unlike the most on car 28)

also on car28, note if there are a lot of messages, but no sale after months on being advertised, probably a dodgy dealer which everyone is avoiding like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    are you in a rush? if not, ( I work in expat relocation insurance industry), look at the hk expat classified for cars, some expats need to leave in summer as their visa expires and relocate to another country, you could find ( may take a while) a decent bargain which is more trustworthy than the cheapo car in car28

worry thing, the oldest cars on car28 more likely won't last the summer let alone 2 years
    Not in rush, i still have 3-4 months for bargain hunting
    so car28 is not recommended at all? because $10k or below is quite interesting. the challange: the car might only last for few months
    But do you have experience with those brands i mentioned?

If you have Facebook there are a few groups you can join where expats advertise cars. Normally quite cheap.

wtbhotia and Andy SNK like this.

Just a word of warning, be sure to calculate carefully the costs of running a car here. Have you owned a car here before?

I mention this because the cost of the car can sometimes pale in comparison to its regular running costs.

Make sure to calculate for:

Monthly Car Parking Space
    Annual Vehicle License Fee
    Insurance
    Servicing and MOT
    Petrol
    Car Park and Toll costs

I gather you live out in the NT in a village house so your monthly car parking costs are probably low but regardless, make sure you have a good handle on the other regular running costs otherwise they might turn around and bite you in the ass

imparanoic and Andy SNK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    If you have Facebook there are a few groups you can join where expats advertise cars. Normally quite cheap.
    Please kindly share what are the group names

have you worked out you expect to spend on petrol and if necessary village car park space? weekend driver or every day? for a HK$10,000 probably 14 year old car, how much do you think you expect to pay in maintenance per year, maybe HK$5000-HK$7000 per year in parts and labour?

Andy SNK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Just a word of warning, be sure to calculate carefully the costs of running a car here. Have you owned a car here before?

I mention this because the cost of the car can sometimes pale in comparison to its regular running costs.

Make sure to calculate for:

Monthly Car Parking Space
    Annual Vehicle License Fee
    Insurance
    Servicing and MOT
    Petrol
    Car Park and Toll costs

I gather you live out in the NT in a village house so your monthly car parking costs are probably low but regardless, make sure you have a good handle on the other regular running costs otherwise they might turn around and bite you in the ass
    Agree. Many costs should be considered to own a car therefore I'm looking for a cheap but reliable car just to move around the neighborhood, like school and shopping rather than some kinda road trip to the other side of HK
    Smaller engine (cc) should be ideal to save petrol, maintenance, insurance and license fee. We don't have to pay for parking, there is an open space where everyone park their car there, can save a bit from that

There are some quite cheap cars right here on Geo:

https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classi...ners/ad/194681

https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classi...lers/ad/197573

Naturally I can't vouch for them - at this low price you have to be very careful.

Andy SNK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast