Like Tree8Likes

Proof of Address - HK Drivers' License

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Proof of Address - HK Drivers' License

I need to have a proof of address for changing my driver’s license over.

I am planning on getting a proof of address letter from HSBC for $100 which I can pick up at the branch.

Does anyone have any experience of using this type of letter at the transportation department?

I am hoping it will be okay even though the letter did not go through HK Post.

Thanks!

HSBC charged you $100 for the letter???? WTF?!?!?!
    i just used my monthly bank statement which is from HSBC as my address proof and it was fine

Golden Hawk likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You have nothing else in the past three month's with your address on? I know it's not easy, having had to find something myself recently. I used a tax cert statement, it was the only recent piece of post with my name and address on.

Golden Hawk likes this.

They accepted my electric bill as proof of address.

Golden Hawk likes this.

You can use mobile phone bill, bank statements, other utility bill although must be less than 3 months old.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Unfortunately...I do most things online.

@madal1 was the electricity bill mailed to you via HK post or did they accept a print out copy of bill?

I do have a hard copy water bill but my wife's name is not on it so still need something for her.

Thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Does anyone recall whether you get a confirmation letter from ImmD when notifying the Commissioner of Registration about a change of address (as required by law* for all ID cardholders, but few bother with)?

If so, do that then one government department gives you proof of address for the other government department - for the price of a stamp.

* Registration of Persons Regulations, Cap. 177A if you're interested.)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Hawk:
    Unfortunately...I do most things online.

@madal1 was the electricity bill mailed to you via HK post or did they accept a print out copy of bill?

I do have a hard copy water bill but my wife's name is not on it so still need something for her.

Thanks!

It was a printout as I do everything online.
    Golden Hawk likes this.

Just an update in case anyone stumbles on to this thread.

Thanks to DeletedUser and madal1!

The print out of my bank statement worked fine at the transport department.

The teller also told me that I could have used a bill with only my name on it as proof for my wife’s address as well by providing a marriage certificate.

Some other tips:

They also needed a photocopy of the back of my Canadian driver’s license and the original HKID for my wife. There is also a small photo store that does photo copies on the first floor. I did not use one but I did notice there were agents that did this sort of thing for others. While a subjective comment the teller was very helpful and nice.

Just FYI, there have been some cases (medical insurance and bank account opening) where a print out of a bank statement wouldn't satisfy the companies. I'm Canadian too and all of my bills are electronic while the physically mailed stuff is utilities which are under my fiance's name. I ultimately was unable to satisfy the bank but the insurance agent was able to come visit my premises to confirm the proof of address.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast