Like Tree1Likes

Where to change Car A/C compressor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to change Car A/C compressor?

Does anyone know anything about Car AC Systems?

My car is blowing cool (definitely not cold) air, and I tried to re-charge it, and it won't recharge. The mechanics I meet don't test anything in particular, just set up a pressure gauge and tried to re-charge the AC, and then say it won't take any freon and to change the AC compressor.

After doing some research online, I see that if you change the AC compressor that you also need to change the drier/accumulator. The car mechanic just said they don't have any stock of the AC compressor that I should find one online and he will install it for HK$2000.

I'm a bit concerned now that he didn't mention to change (or for me to buy) the drier/accumulator as this seems as basic as changing the oil filter when you get an oil change.

I want to know your thoughts:

1) What is the life of AC compressors, as there are original BMW compressors on e-bay that I could use, granted those are already old (very old and well used) and I'm not sure how long those would last. If it isn't that, then I would get a new after-market part. I'm getting a bit confused with remanufactured part numbers, as the original part number is discontinued and now there is a remanufactured part number provided. I'm just assuming that the aftermarket parts shipped from the states might be better quality than the ones from Guangzhou. The mechanic said not to get a China part.

2) Do you know of any mechanic who knows their AC stuff? I would like to get this fixed, and I'm already looking to put the money in (2500 for the part + 2000 install) so I want to make sure it works (and I don't want to spend 10k+). I see that there are a few main components to the AC system and I am wondering if there is any AC pro who knows how to check which ones need fixing. I am hoping to avoid the situation of change AC compressor, doesn't fix, now get a condenser, nope didn't work, now get an evaporator, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Drop these guys a line - https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/resour...-repairs/17037

The owner is a member here.

Thank you.

Year and model number of your vehicle

1997 BMW Z3 2.8L

which area are you in

I'm flexible on where, I've been to garages in To kwa wan, haven't tried Sai Kung yet.

@Skyhook, we need the resident Car Guru to recommend garages. he knows of good ones in to kwa wan also.

Or contact this guy Zach 2335 1268 KF Motors, he is highly recommended in Sai Kung area by a lot of expats and speaks good English. Ask him costs or tell him the problem and see if he can locate a scrapped Z3 AC unit from Kam Tin (NT).

What do you think about a scrapped unit? If the life expectancy is 20 years then wouldn't I need to get a new one anyway on a 20 year old car?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast