View Poll Results: When will HK switch to LHD?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-10 years

2 3.28%
  • 10-15 years

4 6.56%
  • 15-20 years

4 6.56%
  • 20 years+

4 6.56%
  • Never, HK will always be a RHD city

46 75.41%
  • Other. Please explain!

1 1.64%
Like Tree63Likes

When will Hong Kong become a left hand drive city?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Why would HK have to switch to LHD? We can adopt the China system were a driver can chose sides according to traffic conditions.
    Not to mention driving on the pedestrian pavement, driving the wrong way towards oncoming traffic and expecting everyone else to yield to you and driving as if the speed limit does not exist...
    JAherbert likes this.

ahh the RHD and LHD debate. always makes me think of this scene from an old movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx49T5WJ3vI

One of the last countries to change from LHD to RHD was Sweden. When put to a referendum 83% wanted to keep LHD so the Government changed to RHD.

Last edited by East_coast; 26-06-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a government proposal to switch driving lanes yet, as this seems like an obvious integration step. I suspect sometime in the next 20 years this could be done.

Given the speed of mainlandization here, such a proposal could come up tomorrow. Japan is also RHD and the mainlanders hate Japan.

I wish they'd hurry up and get on with it then...

While we are on this subject, it would be awesome if the world just did away with right hand drive cars altogether, it should never have been allowed in the first place. All it achieved for the recalcitrant countries that adopted RHD cars, was making cars a lot more expensive to buy and the range/spec availability smaller for the consumer.

Majority of the world drives LHD cars, making it much easier to source parts and at a much lower cost than their RHD counter part.

Nup I am all for it. RHD cars need to go the way of the dodo bird,the sooner the better

Just make the urban areas of Hong Kong car free. Problem solved.

officially, never! As HK cars are imported from Japan New / Used.

technically, it already is! as China cars can enter Hong Kong and drive freely! (of course they have to have HK registration)
    & Hong Kong cars can also enter China with Chinese Registration.

Macau - Perfect example, they have right hand and left hand cars; it's originally right handed country / region.

I don't see any problem with RHD/LHD, do you?

Last edited by jamaladi; 22-07-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Paxbritannia likes this.

The Chinese economic house of cards will collapse soon, resulting in chaos and fragmentation that will lead to HK breaking away like Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaladi:
    officially, never! As HK cars are imported from Japan New / Used.

technically, it already is! as China cars can enter Hong Kong and drive freely! (of course they have to have HK registration)
    & Hong Kong cars can also enter China with Chinese Registration.

Macau - Perfect example, they have right hand and left hand cars; it's originally right handed country / region.

I don't see any problem with RHD/LHD, do you?
    Well it works fine between the UK and mainland Europe; there are many left hand drive cars in the UK - the only challenge being parking ticket machines and toll booths.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast