View Poll Results: When will HK switch to LHD?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-10 years

2 3.28%
  • 10-15 years

4 6.56%
  • 15-20 years

4 6.56%
  • 20 years+

4 6.56%
  • Never, HK will always be a RHD city

46 75.41%
  • Other. Please explain!

1 1.64%
Like Tree63Likes

When will Hong Kong become a left hand drive city?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I drive a lot in china

Not sure that's relevant. China and increasingly Hong Kong just drive wherever the hell they want. Every side is my side.

I've live and driven in both lhd and rhd card...I've even driven lhd in rhd countries and vice versa...perfectly at ease driving either...but, I've always thought it makes more sense to have your right hand on the steering wheel while changing year...given most peeps. are right handed...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    I've live and driven in both lhd and rhd card...I've even driven lhd in rhd countries and vice versa...perfectly at ease driving either...but, I've always thought it makes more sense to have your right hand on the steering wheel while changing year...given most peeps. are right handed...
    Agreed. Learned to drive LHD looonng ago, then got used to RHD in Hong Kong...hated LHD because I had to take my right hand off the wheel to change gears.

Here my right hand's on the wheel, left on the shifter or resting on the armrest, perfectly natural and comfortable. LHD my left arm is smushed into the door.

Personally I don't mind either side, but would prefer Hong Kong going left hand drive as it opens up shit loads bigger car choice and would lower the cost of cars for the average car buyer.

Most car manufacturers see RHD markets as an expensive if not annoying pain in the arse.

Maybe one day the world will choose a standard side and just be done with it.

Natfixit likes this.

I really believe that there are plans to change HK to right hand drive, based upon the design of new highways in the New Territories. E.g. the offramps are counterintuitive, but make sense from the the other direction (if the drive direction is switched). Like you keep RIGHT and hug the insidemost lane to turn left off the highway in some places. Weird.

Okinawa was switched from right hand to left hand drive when they joined Japan in the 70s and there was no need to do that as they are a small island. Absolute mayhem on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    I really believe that there are plans to change HK to right hand drive, based upon the design of new highways in the New Territories. E.g. the offramps are counterintuitive, but make sense from the the other direction (if the drive direction is switched). Like you keep RIGHT and hug the insidemost lane to turn left off the highway in some places. Weird.
    Can you give an example of this - a specific road junction that is 'counterintuitive'?
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Agreed. Learned to drive LHD looonng ago, then got used to RHD in Hong Kong...hated LHD because I had to take my right hand off the wheel to change gears.

Here my right hand's on the wheel, left on the shifter or resting on the armrest, perfectly natural and comfortable. LHD my left arm is smushed into the door.
    Given in HK most cars are automatic....

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Maybe one day the world will choose a standard side and just be done with it.
    I think this is not necessary. Once flying cars come out then a new set of rules will need to be developed and I think they will probably come up with rules similar to right of way boating rules that apply on the water today

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast