Like Tree25Likes

Diesel Cars

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I've had 2 diesels in the past, very different experiences with them.

The 1st was a Lexus IS220d, if I'm not mistaken it was the first diesel produced by Lexus at the time, which meant they slapped in a Diesel engine in from a Toyota and left it, not tuning it for the model's performance. This meant I averaged around 28 mpg which actually cost me more than if I'd gotten the petrol IS250. Even if I drove super economical if only get 32 mpg. I had it for 2 years, and in the last 4 months, I'd put in about 10% used cooking oil. And then there was a period of 3 months in which the car would clap out; I'd be on the motorway and all of a sudden it'll slow all the way down to 20mph, and stay at that speed. It took the Lexus garage 4 goes to finally figure out the issue was a faulty piston, in the meantime I actually got to know the RAC recovery guy on a first name basis from the number of times he's had to tow me (great coincidence that it was always the same guy on duty), and getting to drive numerous brand new courtesy cars.

The 2nd was a Freelander 2. Being on the slightly heavy side, I'd still get better mpg than the Lexus. The torque was just great.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    My neighbour bought a new ford ranger 4x4 for about 300k something, so not bad price. It's a pick up truck and as those trucks go, quite big. Runs on diesel and owner is quite happy as of now.
    And it's an LGV

Not sure if anyone mentioned but cars registered as light goods vehicle and using diesel cannot get their road registrationn renewed after 15 years (ones bought after 2013 or 14?). Not sure many of HK people drive one car for 15 years but just bear in mind. This was what turned me off on a diesel Disco and ended up with a hybrid instead

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Unless the Diesel car is Euro 6, it can only be licensed as a goods vehicle. HKSAR govt has strict criteria for private diesel cars to avoid everybody filling up with cheap diesel instead of the heavily taxed petrol. Almost no dealer is offering diesel private cars.

Edit: Get a LGV drivers license. Costs less than 5k HKD and you'll save on first registration tax (LGV: 17%, private car: up to 115%) and annual road license fee.
    Can anyone register their vehicle as LGV and how does the LGV First Registration tax work?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Not sure if anyone mentioned but cars registered as light goods vehicle and using diesel cannot get their road registrationn renewed after 15 years (ones bought after 2013 or 14?). Not sure many of HK people drive one car for 15 years but just bear in mind. This was what turned me off on a diesel Disco and ended up with a hybrid instead
    What happens after 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    What happens after 15 years?
    Basically you can't road register it so you either sell it to junk yards or export it. It's really a waste since I think those diesel Discoveries should be still drivable in 15 year if the world still hasn't gone full electrics by then
    Khadka27 likes this.

Thanks. I had a look at the TD web site, but unless I have missed a trick, you have to have an LGV registered over 1.9 tonnes to be getting the First Registration Tax benefit.

Also, presumably an LGV classed vehicle requires a "Class 2" driving licence entitlement?

So playing catch up, is this the reason for buying large heavy 4x4 vehicles over 1.9 tonnes, to get flat rate 17% first registration tax (vs. the much higher ratchet tax rates on private cars of LGV below 1.9 tonnes)?

You could get an electric car and skip the first registration tax and fuel tax completely.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    So playing catch up, is this the reason for buying large heavy 4x4 vehicles over 1.9 tonnes, to get flat rate 17% first registration tax (vs. the much higher ratchet tax rates on private cars of LGV below 1.9 tonnes)?
    No. Because it's offset by other higher costs such a higher tunnel fees, higher parking fees, etc.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast